Chocolate covered pretzels are a tasty snack.
Chocolate cream pie, in a salty-sweet pretzel crust, with whipped cream…also a tasty snack. Orrrrr your next crowd-pleasing recipe.
[said in a whisper]: “And it’s easy.”
With a crust made from crushed pretzels and a rich custard filling, this pie re-creates the taste of a favorite snack.
- 4 oz (3 cups) broken pretzel sticks
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 2½ cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF. In a food processor combine pretzels, 1/4 cup brown sugar and butter; blend until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake crust until fragrant and just turning golden, 10 to 15 min; cool.
- 2. In a medium saucepan whisk together ½ cup brown sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, salt and milk. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is just dissolved, about 2 min. Whisk in egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla. Place pan in a bowl of ice and water and stir occasionally until custard cools.
- 3. pour custard into cooled crust and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. chill until firm, 4 hr or up to a day.
- 4. Whip cream and confectioners' sugar until soft peaks form, spread over pie and garnish with extra pretzels and chocolate shavings.
Recipe by Tara Bench
Original published in
Ladies’ Home Journal Oct 2011
Photography Maura McEvoy
Food Styling Sara Neumeier
Prop Styling Cindy DiPrima