This is one avocado mash fit for a holiday party. Take a good look at this gorgeous dip though, because it won’t last long.
Juicy grapefruit and pops of pomegranates are better than you could even think in guacamole. Seriously I couldn’t stop eating this. Your guests will be so pleasantly surprised.
I wanted something savory and crowd-pleasing, but wanted to use fresh seasonal fruit. I added segments of Wonderful Sweet Scarletts red grapefruit which is actually much sweeter than typical white or pink grapefruit. You get grapefruit flavor, but no bitterness. The pomegranates are the most festive color and give a little texture and tangy burst. Both fruits play off the lime, onions and creamy avocado.
If you’ve never segmented citrus, it is quite simple. I cut off the ends of the grapefruit, stem and bottom, about 1/2 inch in. Then stand it on one flat end and slice the rind and pith off following the shape of the fruit. Then hold it in your hand and slice in between the membranes to remove each segment. I chop my segments up for this recipe.
A fresh take on this favorite snack. The sweet, red citrus takes it to a whole new level! SERVES 6
- 2 large avocados
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 Wonderful Sweet Scarlett grapefruit, segmented and chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp Wonderful pomegranate arils
- Tortilla chips
- Pit and peel avocados and gently mash in a bowl. Add the salt, lime juice, hot sauce, jalapeno and scallions and stir to blend to desired consistency, chunky or smooth.
- Add the grapefruit segments to the guacamole with the cilantro. Garnish with the pomegranate arils and serve with chips.
This post may include sponsor mentions or affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosure policy.
Recipe: Tara Bench
Photography by Kathy YL Chan and Tara Bench