Eyeball cupcakes check out everyone that walks by your Halloween treat table. Grab one before they LOOK away!
Mini cupcakes make the perfect canvas for creepy, delicious Halloween eyes. I love having a big platter of these lookers on my treat table! A few simple candies and frosting is all you need to make these treats in just a few minutes.
I like to make my own frosting with a little butter and confectioners’ sugar. The cupcakes are made in minutes with a cake mix! I do love a cake mix (but always have to have homemade frosting to go with it).
Stare back at these eyeball cupcakes or eat them! It’s your choice.
Once the cupcakes are frosted, I used large gumdrops for the base of each eyeball. The colors are perfect, bright Halloween hues that look fantastic on your table. Just slice the large bottom off each gumdrop and place it, sugared side down, on the frosting. The black M&M eyeballs stick right to the cut side of each gumdrop!
For these eyeball cupcakes I add the black M&Ms in different places. That makes an entire platter of them look like they are staring in different directions!
For bloodshot eyes I used a little tube of red decorator gel. No need to get out a piping bag, you can just pipe right from the tube. The eyelashes for these eyeball cupcakes take the cake! I snipped black licorice laces on the diagonal to make little bits that look just like lashes. Insert them one by one into the frosting just under the gumdrop. Take a LOOK! You’re done!
Affiliate links of products used for these cupcakes:
Scare up a batch of your favorite mini cupcakes and you're ready to make these creepy treats.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dash Salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 36 mini cupcakes
- 36 large gumdrops
- 36 black candy-coated chocolate pieces (M&Ms)
- Black licorice laces
- Red gel paste food coloring or decorating gel
- Beat butter until creamy, about 2 min. Add sugar ½ cup at a time, mixing well. Add salt and beat in vanilla extract; stir until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
- Cut round slices from gumdrops about ⅛ inch thick and center on frosted cupcakes sugar-side down. Top each gumdrop with a candy-coated chocolate piece. For lashes, cut licorice laces in ½-inch pieces on an angle and add to cupcakes. To make bloodshot eyes, dip a toothpick into food coloring and draw squiggly lines through frosting or pipe with decorating gel.
I love Halloween treats! If you do to, stick around and try a few of my other favorites.
This post includes affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosure agreement.
Recipe Tara Bench
Photographs Hallie Burton
Food Stylist Joyce Sangirarardi
Prop Stylist Linsey Freyers
Originally published Ladies’ Home Journal October 09