Black Cat Cupcakes
I call myself a professional—so I make cake from scratch—that equals buttery awesomeness.
However, there is nothing wrong with cake mix in my book. I am always a fan. It’s no-fail and makes people happy. I also find that with homemade frosting it’s…
The. Best. Thing. Ever.
Have so much fun on Halloween, and make these cute cats. (with cake mix!)
(If you use canned frosting don’t tell me. I don’t like it. Never will.)
Chocolate lovers win! Halloween is better with these bewitching treats.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
- 24 small yellow gumdrops
- Black licorice laces
- 12 standard-size baked cupcakes
- 1 cup chocolate sprinkles
- 24 chocolate Candy Melts or chocolate coating dots
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 8-oz pkg cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 lb (4 cups) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tbsp milk
- Fit a piping bag with a #4 plain tip and fill with ¼ cup frosting; set aside. To make eyes, cut an 1/8-inch-thick slice off the larger end of each gumdrop; add a small piece of licorice lace to the cut side of each slice. For ears, cut chocolate coating dots into triangle shapes with a paring knife. Cut licorice laces into 1 ½-to-2-inch lengths for whiskers.
- Frost cupcakes; coat generously with chocolate sprinkles. Insert ears into the icing of each cupcake, add whiskers and eyes and pipe a frosting nose.
- • In a mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy, about 2 min. Sir in cocoa. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well. Beat in vanilla and milk and stir until smooth. Can be refrigerated up to one week; bring to room temperature and stir before using.