I usually don’t call out “30-minute” recipes. Those weeknight meals so many publications and sites advertise. Most recipes take more than 30 minutes because there is prep time; chopping, assembling, and reading the recipe several times over!
But, I’ll call this one out. It can almost be done in the time you bring water to a boil and cook the pasta!
As perfect as this is for a family weeknight meal, it’s understood that some kids are picky. I was! No mushrooms for me! (I was well into adulthood before I’d even politely eat them when socially necessary, lol!) So make this recipe your own. Leave something out and add something else. Zucchini would be great, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, or spinach would all be delicious.
Thirty minutes everyone!!!!!
- 1 package (14 oz) whole-wheat pasta
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1½ cups shredded, cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1 box (10 oz) frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup (2 oz) shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, reduce heat to medium and sauté until softened and just starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add cream and simmer over high heat until reduced slightly, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken, peas and cheese. Remove from heat; salt and pepper to taste. Toss with pasta and 2 tablespoons parsley. Transfer to a large serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley. Serve with additional cheese on the side.