Peppermint Cloud Brownies are the ultimate holiday chocolate and peppermint treat!
Peppermint and chocolate are one of my favorite combos. At the holidays I get to indulge in every which way! Hot cocoa, candy bark, cookies and I always make these brownies!
Not only are they a delicious combo of peppermint and chocolate, but they are loaded with crunchy pecans (omit if you must) and topped with fluffy marshmallows. It’s sort of a take on Rocky Road Brownies plus my fave holiday flavor combo.
The marshmallows go on towards the end of baking so they get perfectly toasted, but not melted. The sprinkling of crushed peppermint sticks to the warm marshmallow and each bite is heavenly.
Before slicing Peppermint Cloud Brownies, grease your knife to keep it from sticking to the marshmallows!
I’ve got a great tip for you when baking brownies. Cut the parchment lining so it fits just inside the edges on the bottom; then make sure two of the edges hang over the sides of the pan. These hangovers, as I like to call them, act as handles once the cookies are cool and you can lift the entire batch out of the pan. Place them on a cutting board and cut perfect squares, without having to dig each one out of the pan.
These peppermint cloud brownies call for an 8-inch square pan. I love this one because of the straight sides. It’s easy to cut the parchment strips to fit right inside.
Crushed candy sticks top the marshmallows right out of the oven, as if sitting on clouds!
- 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 2 oz semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ¾ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup (2½ oz) chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp crushed peppermint sticks
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Butter an 8-inch square pan and line with a strip of parchment overhanging on two sides. Butter parchment; set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, chocolate and cocoa on low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs, flour, salt, nuts, milk and vanilla until combined.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake until just set, 20 min. Remove from oven, top with marshmallows and bake until marshmallows are puffed, another 5 min. Immediately sprinkle with peppermint. Cool in pan. Loosen edges and lift brownies from pan using parchment. Use a buttered knife to cut into squares. Store airtight up to 1 day.
For more of my favorite holiday treats, don’t miss the Christmas recipe page!
And indulge in this cookies recipes as well.
The perfect gingerbread cookie recipe is super simple and has a delicious balance of molasses and spice.
Recipe and Food Styling Tara Bench
Originally published in Ladies’ Home Journal Dec 2008
Photography Antonis Achilleos
Prop Styling Gerri Williams