A classic shape - the buttery shortbread texture is perfect for dunking!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 recipe Lemon Royal Icing
- 1/3 cup white sanding sugar
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment; set aside for one hour.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter and granulated sugar together on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 min. Mix in vanilla and egg white. Reduce speed to low and add flour and salt; mix until combined. Wrap dough in plastic and chill overnight.
- Pinch off a 1¼-inch ball of dough. Roll into a 5½-inch rope. Shape into a candy cane hook and place on baking sheet; repeat with remaining dough, spacing cookies about 1 inch apart. Bake 12 to 15 min, until cookies are cooked through but not browned. Let cool on parchment on a cooling rack.
- In a small bowl thin about ½ cup Lemon Royal Icing with extra lemon juice or water to the consistency of milk. Use a small clean brush to paint entire cookie or paint stripes; sprinkle cookies with sanding sugar and tap off any excuses. Set aside to dry for 1 hr.
You get a zillion different kinds of cookies to take home and you only had to make one kind!
Plus if you’re lucky you have time to eat half of them before you get home and someone notices the rest of them.
Recipe and Food Styling Tara Bench
Photography Kate Mathis