A healthier version of mac and cheese that replaces half the pasta with roasted cauliflower. Delicious and easy for a weeknight.
If you're like me, this is your mantra today:
I have been eating the best holiday food ever! But now it's time to get real. However, I don't want to.
My solution to the stubbornness I'm so proud of, is a slightly healthier version of Mac 'n' Cheese! I've cut the pasta almost in half and replaced it with roasted cauliflower. Even better, this is a great way to disguise veggies for the kids.
I used cheddar mixed with herbed Boursin cheese to make it extra creamy. If you can't find that specific Boursin, other flavors with do. As well as replacing it with cream cheese (just add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning if you are using plain cream cheese!)
Let the dieting begin! Well, kind of. Not really yet.
Cauliflower Mac 'n' Cheese
- 2 cups 12 oz cauliflower florets
- Cooking spray
- ½ lb cavatappi or other curly pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 2½ cups 7 oz grated cheddar
- ½ cup 2 oz grated Parmesan
- ½ cup 4 oz Boursin Light Garlic and Herbs Spreadable cheese
- ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spread cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and coat lightly with cooking spray. Roast until florets begin to brown, about 10 min. Remove cauliflower and reduce oven to 375°F.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside. In a large saucepan over medium heat whisk olive oil and flour for 1 min. Add milk, whisking constantly. Stir in mustard, salt and cayenne. Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture has thickened, about 8 min. Remove sauce from heat. Add 2 cups cheddar, Parmesan and Boursin and stir until melted. Add pasta and cauliflower; stir to coat.
- Pour pasta into a greased 2-qt baking dish. Sprinkle on ½ cup cheddar, then bread crumbs. Bake until bread crumbs are golden brown and cheese is bubbling, about 30 min.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Delicious Sides To Go With Ham Dinner
- Skillet Green Beans with Charred Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Miso Glazed Carrots with Sesame and Pomegranate
- Shortcut Potato Cheese Casserole
- Stunning Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin
- Roasted Broccoli with Sumac and Dried Fruit
Recipe by Tara Bench. Photographer: Lisa Hubbard. Food Stylist: Susan Vajaranant. Prop Stylist: Penelope Bouklas. Originally published in LHJ 11/12