Four amazing mashed potato mix ins that will blow your mind! Start with the basic recipe and create flavorful side dishes with just a few ingredients.
Why wait for turkey, ham or roast beef to enjoy a flavorful side? These variations are so good, you might just forget the other dishes on the table!
From top to bottom I've made these potato mix ins:
• Olive-Thyme Potatoes
• Bacon and Smashed Carrot Potatoes
• Smoked Gouda and Scallion Potatoes
• Chipotle and Cilantro Potatoes
I started with my basic Fluffy Mashed Potatoes recipe for each amazing variation. The olive and thyme version has the rich flavor of kalamata olives and herby goodness.
It's tasty with beef roasts, lamb, and grilled or roasted chicken. Don't limit yourself to these ideas. Pair these variations with whatever sounds good to you - get creative!
I just love bacon! Bacon and potatoes is a combination pretty stellar on it's own. I added sweetness with some cooked carrots.
They smash up just perfectly with the potatoes, and the kick of salty bacon makes them great paired with chicken or pork chops.
Try the smoky goodness of the Gouda and scallion potatoes with roast turkey, or beef tenderloin.
The combo tastes like your favorite stuffed, baked potato; so cheesy and flavorful. The chipotle-cilantro combination is a spicy, smoky mix that hits the mark served alongside grilled chicken, or even a fish fillet.
Make any meal special with these potato mix ins. I have more holiday dinner party ideas, sides and mains that you'll love.
*1. OLIVE-THYME POTATOES*
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme.
*2. BACON AND SMASHED CARROT POTATOES*
- 1 lb carrots
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp bacon fat
*3. SMOKED GOUDA AND SCALLION POTATOES*
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup 3 oz grated smoked Gouda
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
*4. CHIPOTLE AND CILANTRO POTATOES*
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 chipotle chiles (canned in adobo sauce.
- 1 tsp adobo sauce
- Make Fluffy Mashed Potatoes, substituting 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil for the butter. Stir in ¼ cup chopped kalamata olives and 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme.
- Peel 1 lb carrots and cut into 1-inch pieces. Steam until just tender: drain and set aside. Cook 6 slices bacon until just crisp; drain on paper towels (reserve fat), crumble and set aside. Make Fluffy Mashed Potatoes, reducing salt to 1 tsp and substituting 4 tbsp bacon fat for butter. Add carrots and bacon; beat until carrots are slightly mashed.
- Make Fluffy Mashed Potatoes, reducing butter to 2 tbsp. Stir in ¾ cup (3 oz) grated smoked Gouda and 2 thinly sliced scallions.
- Make Fluffy Mashed Potatoes. Stir in ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, 2 finely chopped chipotle chiles (canned in adobo sauce, seeds removed) and 1 tsp adobo sauce.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Delicious Sides To Go With Ham Dinner
- Skillet Green Beans with Charred Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Miso Glazed Carrots with Sesame and Pomegranate
- Shortcut Potato Cheese Casserole
- Stunning Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin
- Roasted Broccoli with Sumac and Dried Fruit