Fluffy mashed potatoes melt in your mouth, and with just four ingredients, are as easy to make as they are delicious!
Like little clouds on your plate. That’s what the perfect mashed potatoes taste like. Then drizzle them with gravy and oh-my-goodness it’s heaven. These creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes are as simple to make as they are delicious, and basic enough that you can add amazing flavor variations.
This post may include affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosure agreement.
Russet Potatoes are my go-to for Fluffy Mashed Potatoes.
When making fluffy or loaded mashed potatoes, I prefer using russet potatoes. They seem to have a smoother and richer texture than waxy potatoes, which in my opinion, makes all the difference.
Always melt your butter and heat your milk before mixing them into the potatoes!
After boiling the potatoes in salted water, make sure to drain them well. We will eventually put lots of moisture back (in the form of milk and butter). One of my biggest tricks to making creamy mashed potatoes is not adding cold milk and butter to the hot potatoes. Instead, heat the milk and melt the butter before adding them in. This keeps the potatoes hot!
Use a potato ricer to smash the potatoes. You can also use a potato masher, or a hand mixer, but a potato ricer will give you the smoothest, fluffy mashed potatoes. Then whip in the warm milk and butter and you’ve got the best side dish ever!
That’s it. Can you believe how easy?!
How to make Fluffy Mashed Potatoes:
- Boil potatoes until tender (not falling apart)
- Drain completely
- In a mixing bowl, beat potatoes until finely crumbled
- Add melted butter, warmed milk and salt
- Beat until smooth
Want to try some variations to these amazing Fluffy Mashed Potatoes? Click here for the recipes to try the Olive and Thyme Mashed Potatoes with a delicious lamb roast. The Bacon and Smashed Carrot mix ins are delicious with pork chops. Smoked Gouda and Scallion Potatoes pair well with a beef roast, mmmm! And try the Chipotle and Cilantro mashers with grilled chicken or fish.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt plus more for boiling potatoes
- ¾ cup whole milk heated, plus more as needed
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil; add salt Simmer until fork-tender but not falling apart, about 30 min; drain
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixer bowl and, using whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until finely crumbled. Add milk, butter and 2 tsp salt; beat until just smooth, adding more milk as need for a light, creamy texture.
I love using russet potatoes for fluffy mashers. Waxy potatoes are delicious, but they don't have the same fluffy texture. They are smooth and rich, but a very different situation.