Fluffy mashed potatoes melt in your mouth, and with just four ingredients, are as easy to make as they are delicious!
• • •
Like little clouds on your plate. That’s what the perfect mashed potatoes taste like. Then drizzle them with gravy and oh-my-goodness it’s heaven. These mashers are as simple to make as they are delicious, and basic enough that you can add amazing flavor variations.
I love using russet potatoes for fluffy mashers. Waxy potatoes are delicious, but they don’t have the same fluffy texture. They are smooth and rich, but a very different situation.
Thanksgiving turkey, or a pot roast pairs well with fluffy potatoes. This recipe is just that, and super easy.
For fluffy mashed potatoes I like to use russet potatoes.
After boiling the potatoes in salted water, drain them well. We’ll add moisture back, but in the form of milk and butter! Oh and plenty of it. The potatoes will be hot, so you don’t want to add cold milk and butter, because it will cool them right down. Heat the milk and melt the butter into it.
Use a potato ricer to smash the potatoes. You can also use a potato masher, or a hand mixer, but a potato ricer will give you the smoothest, fluffy mashed potatoes. Then whip in the warm milk and butter and you’ve got the best side dish ever!
This classic is delicious on its own, but you can also try four flavorful Mashed-Potato Variations.
- 5 lbs russet potatoes,peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for boiling potatoes
- ¾ cup whole milk, heated, plus more as needed
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water by 2 inches and bring to a boil; add salt Simmer until fork-tender but not falling apart, about 30 min; drain
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixer bowl and, using whisk attachment, beat on medium speed until finely crumbled. Add milk, butter and 2 tsp salt; beat until just smooth, adding more milk as need for a light, creamy texture.
For more side dishes, browse my recipes.
Click here for the recipes to these amazing variations on Fluffy Mashed Potatoes. Try the Olive and Thyme with a delicious lamb roast. The Bacon and Smashed Carrot mix ins are delicious with pork chops. Smoked Gouda and Scallion Potatoes pair well with a beef roast, mmmm! And try the Chipotle and Cilantro mashers with grilled chicken or fish.