Honey-Rosemary Chicken with Yukon Gold Potatoes simmers right in the slow cooker, for less hands-on work and a flavorful, comforting dinner.
It’s the rush of the week, you need to get dinner in the slow cooker and walk away, but you’re getting a little tired of stewy, heavy one-pot-meals. Tara Teaspoon to the rescue!
This flavorful chicken dinner comes complete with soft, buttery potatoes and a savory, slightly sweet honey herb sauce. It looks like you just slaved over perfectly roasted chicken and hand stirred a complex sauce on the stove. Nope! It’s as simple as browning the chicken (for a little extra flavor) and cooking everything together in the slow cooker. “Set it and forget it” never looked better!
I mentioned browning the chicken. This is an important step for two reasons. One, we eat with our eyes, and blonde, pale chicken just does not look as tempting on a plate. So the golden brown color treats our appetite to beautiful looking food. Second, it actually does create flavor. The browning is caramelization, and gives the dish a richer, more savory flavor overall.
I cooked my chicken in a non-stick skillet (I like this one) for a few minutes before adding it to the slow cooker with the other ingredients. However, some slow cookers, like this highly rated one from Cuisinart, have the capability of getting hot enough to sear and brown foods.
That means no extra skillet to add to the dishwasher! If you have one of these fancy machines, just adjust the recipe to cook the chicken in the slow cooker before adding the other food.
Honey-Rosemary Chicken with Yukon Gold Potatoes is delicious and beautiful enough to serve to company, but easy enough to break into your weeknight dinner routine!
The sauce is created with lemon juice, honey and rosemary. I just love the combo of honey and rosemary. It’s a perfect savory sweet situation. The lemon juice brightens the entire dish, adding citrusy dimension. I chose Yukon Gold potatoes because they are smooth and buttery and don’t break down when slowly cooked for a long time. They take on all of the delicious flavors and melt in your mouth!
Honey-Rosemary Chicken With Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 12 (about 5 lbs) skinless bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb baby Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 medium onions cut into thin wedges
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning until browned on all sides, about 8 min.
- Place the potatoes, onion and garlic in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker; top with chicken.
- Stir together honey, juice, cornstarch, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook, 6 to 8 hours on low for 3 to 4 hours on high. Serve garnished with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Enjoy this easy dinner tonight and browse through my other recipes to live your life deliciously!
Try some of these delicious slow-cooker dishes.
Genius slow-cooker recipes
- Dang Delicious Slow Cooker Brisket Sandwiches
- Veggie Loaded Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
- Short Ribs With Cheesy Polenta
- Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Brisket With Fruit And Wine Sauce
- Ropa Vieja (Slow Cooker Cuban Braised Beef)
- Slow Cooker Turkey Vegetable Meat Loaf
Recipe & Food Styling Tara Teaspoon. Photography by Steve Giralt. Prop Styling Gerri Williams.Originally published 02/2016 in LHJ.