I’m not one to diet. I typically just get really mad at myself when my pants don’t fit and try to eat less, until they do, and then go back to eating like a food editor.
Eating like a food editor isn’t so bad. The health factor evens out. Khalil and I worked together as editors at Ladies’ Home Journal, and one day we’d been baking and eating nothing but sugar, and another day we would be cooking up healthy food. His recipe for Low-fat Carnitas Tacos was a favorite. Even better than this dinner being delicious and healthy, it’s made in the slow cooker. What a way to make EVERYONE happy!
As my 3-year old nephew Sawyer would point out: that is healthy food. I’ll deserve a treat for eating it!
- 2 lbs pork loin boneless
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo chopped, plus 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 cans cannellini beans 15.5 oz cans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes 28-oz can
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp each cinnamon and cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Trim excess fat from pork and cut roast in half crosswise. Combine remaining ingredients, except cilantro, in a 6-qt slow cooker and add pork; cover and cook 5 hr on high or 8 hr on low.
- Shred pork with two forks and stir in the cilantro. Serve in corn tortillas with crumbled queso fresco, red onion and lime wedges on the side.
What a great thing to come home to and have dinner all ready! Delicious!
Recipe by Khalil Hymore
Originally published in Ladies’ Home Journal Feb 2011
Photography Peter Ardito
Food Stylist Susan Ottaviano
Prop Stylist Michelle Wong