Shredded chicken wraps get a Southwest twist as healthy taco lettuce wraps. No tortillas here. It's the best salad wrap you'll ever make.
If you're eating low carb, want a fresh and easy dinner, or just trying to eat more vegetables, this delicious lettuce wrap is for you.
Black Bean and Shredded Chicken Wraps
I was on a health kick a few months ago and cut the carbs. Really it was a microbiome cleanse that I do a few times a year! What a great jumpstart to my health, and it gets me eating more veggies.
I started my day by prepping my lunch ahead and created this delightful black been salad, loaded with veggies and flavor.
From another meal using shredded chicken, I had the extra protein handy. Add lettuce leaves and I had some lettuce tacos pronto!
The black bean salad itself is so delicious, you can eat it alone if you want. If you're not on a health kick, or your family loves a tortilla, serve it as a veggie taco filling.
Or add the chicken and serve it in a tortilla for a traditional taco. Add plenty of shredded lettuce on top for crunch.
More healthy lettuce wraps recipes:
- Meatball lettuce wraps with Thai veggies
- Grilled Chicken lettuce wraps with creamy fruit dressing
- Chicken and Rice lettuce wraps with crunchy nuts
What to serve with lettuce wraps?
For these chicken taco lettuce wraps I serve a little shredded cheese and a squeeze of lime. You can use any cheese you'd like, including Cotija or a vegan cheese if you desire.
For a mixed crowd, meaning not everyone might be on a health path, serve these lettuce wraps with tortilla chips, guacamole or Spanish rice.
For lunch, these lettuce wraps are so filling and do the trick. Add these other additions and you have a complete family meal for dinner.
One of my favorite things about these chicken taco wraps is the Cumin Vinaigrette that glistens all over the black bean salad.
It's so tasty I could drink it! Make extra and store it in my favorite salad dressing keeper in the fridge. Drizzle it on all your salads!
Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 can (14 oz) Black beans drained
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 small jalapeno finely diced
- ½ medium red bell pepper diced
- ½ tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion, or scallions
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt plus more for seasoning
- Cumin Lime Vinaigrette SEE BELOW
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- In a bowl toss together the beans, carrot, jalapeno, bell pepper, tomato and onion. Stir in ¼ cup of the cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Make the dressing. Toss salad with several tablespoons and season to taste with salt.
- Spoon some salad into lettuce leaves and top with chicken and a little cheese. Drizzle with more dressing and garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve immediately.
- Whisk together all the ingredients except for the oil. Then drizzle in the oil while you whisk to incorporate.
- Store in a dressing jar or glass jar with lid. Shake to combine if it separates.
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!