This sweet and spicy bacon chicken sandwich is in my top ten of favorite sandwiches! Grilled chicken is layered with salty bacon and a sweet, spicy jelly for the ultimate bite.
Mom approved sandwich!
This lands in my top ten favorite sandwiches for many reasons. I'll be honest, it's TOP THREE.
As far as rankings go, this is my mom's ALL. TIME. FAVORITE. So that's something.
🍴 The best bacon sandwich recipe
I mean, you put bacon on any sandwich and it knocks it up a few ranks. It's delicious. The combo of chicken and bacon is pretty darn perfect. I mean, try my recipe for Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks! It will be a family favorite.
For this crispy grilled meal, a slightly spicy and sweet pepper jelly is the secret to an ultimate chicken sandwich. Well...and the bacon!
🍴 How to cook the best bacon sandwich
- Grill chicken cutlets
- Cook bacon
- Toast country white bread
- Assemble sandwich with cheese, arugula and sweet pepper jelly
I like to cook bacon in the oven. I often bake an entire package and keep extra in the fridge, ready to use. You just need to heat it a little in the microwave or in a covered pan.
No need to grill this sandwich like a grill cheese, because you melt the cheese on the hot chicken, and simply toast the bread. It saves a step. You really just need to assemble all of your cooked ingredients with the toppings.
It ends up tasting like an awesome restaurant turkey club sandwich with that toasty bread, not a greasy grilled cheese situation.
🍴 How to make a bacon sandwich with chicken:
- Pound chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Pounding the chicken thin before grilling makes it the perfect thickness for stacking...with bacon. No slicing and mess required.
- Melt cheese on the hot, grilled chicken.
Havarti cheese gets just a bit melty as it rests on the hot chicken. So divine in this chicken sandwich.
- Have cooked bacon ready. (I like to cook it in the oven on a baking sheet, at 400ºF for about 20 minutes)
Make sure you assemble these quickly, as cooked bacon laying around doesn't last long. (wink) I'll eat the entire plate if it's left out too long.
- Toast sliced bread and slather it with the mayo and sweet pepper jelly.
Toast some sourdough or country white bread, on the grill or in the toaster. Slather it with a bit of mayo and layer on chicken, bacon and pepper jelly.
- Add arugula, or other greens.
The arugula is super important! It adds a peppery bite and fresh green flavor. I love it on this sandwich, and you could use other greens and lettuce if you'd like.
Just these few ingredients spruce up a chicken breast sandwich, making it a meal worthy of your toughest critics. Listen, it's mom approved! That should be enough!
Check out more of my bacon recipes, including a granola with bacon! It will blow your socks off.
- Sweet and Savory Bacon Granola for snacking or hot cereal.
- For breakfast or brunch, a Savory Bacon Strata
- Get 101 Ways to Eat Bacon
- Entertain with a Caramelized Onion and Bacon Dip
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves cut in half horizontally
- Garlic salt and ground black pepper
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 8 slices country white bread toasted
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp pepper jelly
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- 2 cups baby arugula
Heat grill, or grill pan to medium high. Pound chicken to create thin cutlets about ¼ inch thick. Season with garlic salt and pepper and grill until cooked through, 4 to 6 min. Place one cheese slice on top of each cutlet to melt.
To make each sandwich, spread one piece of toast with mayonnaise and one piece with a generous layer of pepper jelly. Fill with chicken, bacon and arugula.
Chicken may be grilled on a grill, grill press or grill pan.
Some of my newest Main Dish Recipes for you to try:
- Veggie Loaded Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
- Roast Ham with Spiced Honey Glaze
- Holiday Ham Recipe with Pomegranate Brown Sugar Glaze
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!