Craving toasty bread with melted cheese? Make a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich, even if you are cooking in the microwave.
Make grilled cheese
Seriously one of my all time favorite sandwiches has melty cheese on it. Any iteration of this makes me completely happy.
And if I'm going to make the best grilled cheese sandwich recipe, I want savory, a touch of sweet and ooey gooey! How about you?
I'm pretty sure I get you. You love grilled cheese taken up a notch, maybe something sweet with the savory like me. You need the recipe below.
Or hey! Your oldest is at college in a dorm with nothing but a microwave. He needs this cool kitchen tool. (see below!)
And, late at night when you need a gooey, savory, toasty snack and can't bear pulling out pots and pans. Keep reading my friend.
I have a stove, oven, slow cooker, pressure cooker, you name it. Still sometimes I cook in a microwave.
And I'll bet if you live the dorm life, you're cooking in a microwave too. I've had the best time playing in the kitchen with this new tool. The Lekue Microwave Grill makes hot sandwiches in a snap.
Take your ingredients grilled in the microwave to toasty, melty perfection. Check it out below. I am a huge fan and I think you'll have fun with this too.
I love grilled cheese. I'll make a simple crispy sandwich to go along with my tomato soup. The best, right?
Even better when I can use the Lekue microwave grill! No pans or stovetop required!
Other than that classic, I load my sandwiches up making gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches. I have a feeling after one bite, you will be on my team.
Team Delicious Grilled Cheese. I'm going to show you how to get the most out of this team.
Hold the bus! Did you even know you can make an awesome grilled cheese sandwich in the microwave?
And I'm not just talking bread with melted cheese on top. This is the real deal.
Lekue makes a microwave grill (that grills just about anything: veggies, chicken, hamburgers and more). It it truly genius and a must for any household, apartment or dorm room with a microwave. Oh! I'll bet that's you!
This grill has microwavable metal plates to grill-up paninis, Reubens, grill cheese sandwiches, burgers, chicken breasts, veggies and quesadillas!
I'll teach you how to make this grilled cheese sandwich recipe in the microwave with the Lekue grill.
How to make a grilled cheese in the microwave
Whatever your reason for making a melty cheese sandwich, I am loving that you can make one, with all your favorite toasty goodness in the microwave.
Yes! You can make this and other grilled cheese recipes in a skillet or panini press too.
I played around with the Lekue microwave grill to make sure I could get a crisp toasty outside on the bread without overcooking the cheese on the inside.
Follow these steps for a great sandwich in the microwave.
- Heat the Lekue grill in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes. Four minutes if your microwave is powerful.
- Carefully remove the grill and open it for easy access.
- Butter two pieces of hearty bread and place, butter sides out, on the grill.
- Place top of grill over bread (no need to latch it) and microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the grill and carefully remove one piece of bread.
- Assemble your gourmet grilled cheese ingredients on the bread and top with the other grilled piece of bread (toasty part still facing out).
- Microwave (no need to latch) for 1 to 2 minutes. Check every 30 seconds to see if your cheese is perfectly melted.
- Carefully remove and enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich made in the microwave.
The best grilled cheese sandwich recipe
The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe with Turkey, Apple and Brie
- 2 slices hearty bread or sourdough
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 oz thinly sliced deli turkey (or two regular slices)
- ¼ small apple very thinly sliced
- 2 oz brie cheese sliced
- Heat the Lekue grill in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes. Four minutes if your microwave is powerful. Carefully remove the grill and open it for easy access.
- While grill is heating, butter two pieces of hearty bread. When grill is hot place bread, butter sides on the grill, in between the two pieces of Lekue grill. No need to latch it closed. Microwave for 1½ to 2 minutes. Remove the grill and carefully remove one piece of bread.
- Assemble the turkey, cheese and apple slices on the bread and top with the other grilled piece of bread (toasty part still facing out).
- Microwave (no need to latch) for 1 to 2 minutes. Check every 30 seconds to see if your cheese is perfectly melted. Carefully remove and enjoy your grilled cheese sandwich made in the microwave.
Love cheese? Try these other delicious cheese recipes:
• Eat your Tomato Soup with Cheese Dumplings
• Looking for easy Cheese Snacks and Hacks
• Mac and Cheese with hidden veggies.
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!
- Profiteroles Recipe: Cream Puffs with Ice Cream Filling & Hot Fudge
- Mini Ice Cream Pops – No Mold Needed
- Vegetable Spring Rolls with Sweet and Sour Mint Sauce
- 15 Mind Blowing Fruit Salsa Recipes
- Fattoush Salad Recipe with Lemon Chicken, Dates, and Almonds
- A Collection Of The Best Summer Pasta Salad Recipes