Lettuce Wraps filled with tender chicken, and rice take summer eating to a whole new level. Tangy rice, crunchy nuts, currents and olives are wrapped in soft green leaves to make a fun-to-eat meal.
Your tastebuds will thank you for making these simple chicken lettuce wraps. So will your husband, kids, friends, aunts, uncles, cousin Jimmy, even your neighbors! Gratitude all around.
This protein-style meal is no ordinary dinner. It's healthy, light, satisfying and delicious. The best part, it's very sharable.
A light vinaigrette covers a bit of rice, rotisserie chicken, olive, sweet currents and crunchy walnuts. You can eat this lovely mixture over a salad, or in lettuce cups as wraps.
P.F. Chang's chicken lettuce wraps
I love the lettuce wraps recipe at PF Chang's. I do, I'm not ashamed.
I also love bo ssam here in NY at Momofuku. It's their roast pork dinner served family style with delicious fixings you stuff in a soft lettuce leaf.
Taking those as my inspiration, I created this quick recipe with summer vibes, and much less prep.
I love lettuce wraps and have more recipes for you to enjoy:
Use rotisserie chicken
One glorious aspect of chicken and rice lettuce wraps is you can use rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken leftover from the weekend, or just poach chicken breasts as you prepare the other ingredients.
Rice is a no-brainer, taking just minutes to cook. Chop the other ingredients and shred your chicken as it simmers.
This is a Mediterranean take on Asian chicken lettuce wraps
Mediterranean chicken lettuce wraps include different flavors than your typical Asian lettuce wrap recipe.
I love all the layers of flavor that come from mixing crunchy walnuts, sweet currents, savory scallions and shallots with brined kalamata olives.
A red wine and honey vinaigrette gets tossed on the salad while the rice is still warm. This allows the rice to absorb all the flavors, creating a dish that doesn't need any extra sauce.
These Mediterranean lettuce wraps are delish served while the salad is warm, but room temp is also tasty - making this a genius picnic meal.
Oh! I hear Central Park calling my name. I'm taking this on my summer outings! Truthfully it's a secret way I trick myself into eating salad. Wrapping my salad in a lettuce leaf is way more fun than eating it with a fork!
Eat these Mediterranean lettuce wraps warm or at room temperature.
You can make this ahead, and refrigerate it, but be aware the rice gets that hard, cold thing going on once chilled, so give it a little spin in the microwave to soften the rice.
Get creative too. Swap the olives for red bell pepper or the currants for fresh grapes. Make this salad your own and enjoy.
Chicken-and-Rice Lettuce Wraps
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup dried currants
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 scallion white and green parts sliced
- 5 kalamata olives minced
- 1½ cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Mix together the warm rice, walnuts, currants, shallot, scallion, olives and shredded chicken.
- In another bowl whisk together the vinegar, salt, lemon zest, honey and olive oil. Toss vinaigrette with the rice mixture and stir in the parsley.
- Serve warm or room temperature. Spoon salad into lettuce leaves, wrap and eat!
Main Dish Recipes
- Corn and Chorizo Tacos
- The Best Recipe for Turkey Pot Pie with Gravy
- Vegetarian Meatballs With Harissa Are The Best Meatless Meatballs
- Beef Tenderloin with Fresh Cranberry Relish
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Poutine with Sweet Potato Fries
- How To Grill Pork Tenderloin: Topped with Goat Cheese, Rosemary, and Honey
- The Best Mexican Meatballs With Chipotle And Adobo
- Real Cashew Chicken Recipe
Recipe and Photos Tara Teaspoon.