Healthy chicken curry combines classic spiced flavors, lean chicken, veggies and nonfat yogurt to make a delicious, creamy curry. An easy, healthy everyday meal.
It's easy to tell you how to use a slow cooker to make chicken curry. But what about making it a healthy meal? I left out the cream, fat and starches, but not the flavor!
How to make healthy chicken curry:
I love flavorful, creamy curries. Over a bed of basmati rice with a side of garlic naan! There's not much more that can satisfy that craving.
Some of my favorites are tikka masala, tandoori masala, and vegetable korma. I wanted to create a curry dinner that covered all my favorites. Chicken, veggies and a drinkable sauce.
To make this healthy chicken curry low-fat I knew I needed to cut out the rich meats and cream and cut down on any added sugars or rich coconut milk.
I used curry powder, onions, garlic, sweet raisins and carrots to create a delicious flavor base. I added turmeric for an extra kick of that classic curry color.
And did you know turmeric was a fantastic anti-inflammatory. It's true. Healthy bonus!
To achieve just enough creaminess in the sauce I added nonfat yogurt to this slow cooker chicken curry.
I love lean chicken breasts, but cooking them in the slow cooker is hit or miss. I knew I wanted the lean, meaty texture of chicken breasts but I added in some boneless, skinless chicken thighs too because I know they stay nice and tender in the slow cooker.
The mix is perfect. I feel like I'm getting my lean protein but have meaty goodness.
To achieve just enough creaminess in the sauce I added nonfat yogurt. The tang also adds to the flavor and enhances all the spiciness.
Making Indian food in the slow cooker is a bonus. But once you have the spices in your pantry, you're good to go with just a few other ingredients. I've even taken shortcuts, like with my Chicken Biryani, I use a curry paste blend from the store. It's delish too!
You could certainly use a multicooker for this recipe (I just got this one and have lots of learning to do!). I have not tested the timing, but all of the elements would hold up well in that style of pressure cooker.
I use my favorite slow cooker and let it simmer for several hours. I love how the flavors absorb into the chicken and veggies.
How to serve healthy slow cooker chicken curry:
This chicken curry is flavorful and low-calorie. It includes vitamin C-rich cauliflower, vitamin A packed carrots and anti-inflammitory turmeric. Serve it with plenty of fresh cilantro.
You can serve this curry over whole-grain brown rice or quinoa for added fiber. That way you don't have to miss out on the rice, but you get added health benefits.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- 1½ lbs chicken breasts and thighs boneless, skinless, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 3 carrots sliced into thick rounds
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp ground tumeric
- ½ head cauliflower cut into large florets
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 1¼ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro , plus more for garnish
- Brown rice or quinoa (optional)
- Add the chicken, onion and carrots to a 6-qt slow cooker. Combine the curry powder, cornstarch, salt, pepper and turmeric in a small bowl and toss with chicken mixture. Add cauliflower, garlic, raisins and ⅓ cup water; cover and cook 4 hr on high or 8 hr on low.
- Ladle about 1 cup of the cooking liquid into a bowl and combine with the yogurt and cilantro; add mixture back to the slow cooker, stirring gently. Season with salt as needed.
- Serve on brown rice or quinoa if desired with cilantro on top.
My amazing food blogger friends have slow cooker meals that will knock your socks off. Make a whole week of easy and delicious dinners with these ideas:
Slow Cooker Weeknight Lasagna
Shredded Pork Chile Verde
BBQ Pulled Pork
Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast Sandwiches
Spicy Honey Garlic Chicken
Low Carb Slow Cooker Meatloaf
Crock Pot French Dips
Slow Cooker Chicken & Veggie Soup
Crockpot Chicken Jambalaya
Slow Cooker Beef Tacos
Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo
Spicy Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
Genius slow-cooker recipes
- Dang Delicious Slow Cooker Brisket Sandwiches
- Veggie Loaded Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
- Short Ribs With Cheesy Polenta
- Slow Cooker Brisket With Fruit And Wine Sauce
- Ropa Vieja (Slow Cooker Cuban Braised Beef)
- Honey-Rosemary Chicken With Yukon Gold Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Turkey Vegetable Meat Loaf