Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup is savory, with a rich coconut broth and everything you love about Thai food. Make it with just a few ingredients in one pot.
What ingredient makes this Thai soup taste authentic?
With all the many great jarred curry pastes available (typically in the Asian section of your grocery store) these glorious Thai soups are a cinch. This Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup recipe has got to be the easiest one you'll ever make. It tastes like that warming bowl of coconut and curry broth from your favorite Thai restaurant.
A simple red curry paste will do the trick. You can find one in the Asian foods section of your market.
With some coconut milk and broth, this soup tastes completely authentic.
It's also low-fat, low-calorie, and high in protein. A great dinner for DETOX month, after the holidays.
Swap shrimp for chicken or vegetables!
I was a picky kid, and often had to eat around things I didn't like. I'm still not a fan of certain foods and my heart goes out for kids all over who may be sitting in front of a bowl of shrimp soup, and can't stomach shrimp!
Simply swap the shrimp for thinly sliced chicken breast and let it cook through in the simmering broth. Or add some cut up veggies like broccoli, carrots, potato and snap peas. I offered a kid-ifying option for my Chicken Tomato Bisque as well.
All of these options cook in just a few minutes and keep this soup prep to under 30 minutes.
LOW FAT SOUP SECRETS
If you're on a soup kick but want to keep the calories in check, take into consideration some of these low-fat soup secrets!
•For creamy soups, replace heavy cream with whole or evaporated milk.
•Try using smashed white beans or mashed potatoes instead of butter and flour as thickeners.
•Choose lean cuts of meat; try turkey bacon or chicken sausage.
•If you need more moisture when you're cooking vegetables, add fat-free broth in place of butter or oil.
•Use canned low-sodium broth instead of water to add flavor to soup that doesn't have a lot of time to simmer and cook.
Thai Coconut Shrimp Soup
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14- oz can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tbsp fish sauce nahum plah
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup 4 oz green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro for garnish
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat, combine chicken broth, coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add green beans and cook 2 min. Add shrimp and cook until pink, 5 min. Top soup with scallions and serve with lime.
Make a delicious soup recipe today
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Butternut Squash Soup with Easy Flavor Variations
- Best Winter Soups
- Chicken Chili Verde
- The Best Chili Toppers
- Classic Chili For A Crowd
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon. Originally published LHJ 02/09 Photography: Sang An. Prop Stylist: Tiziana Agnello. Food Stylist: Jee Levin