This delicious, saucy beef and vegetable stew is made better with biscuits baked right on top.
Some call it a casserole, some call it a stew. Either way it's comfort food. A hearty stew topped with biscuits is a one-pot meal.
Slow cooked beef stew
I cooked this beef and vegetable stew in the oven in a Dutch oven. You could also cook it in the slow cooker if you'd like. I give Instant Pot instructions on the recipe too.
I love using my enameled cast iron pots for hearty, oven-cooked meals during colder months. It warms the house and the cast iron seems to give food a richness that a slow cooker sometimes can't.
If you want, individual servings use these cute mini Dutch ovens. They are just so cute individual!! (Tastes the same by the way, wink).
How to make stew with biscuit topping:
To make a beef stew with tender, fall apart meat and tender flavorful veggies, you need to slow cook it with a little moisture.
The method is braising, so the pot stays covered in the oven and the meat gets soft and tender. Braising is a moist-heat cooking method and perfect for tougher cuts of meat like stew meat.
I like to brown my stew meat in the pan to get some caramelized flavor before adding the liquid. This is just a bonus-flavor step, often not possible in a slow cooker unless you dirty another pan.
More Tara Teaspoon Stew and Slow Cooker recipes:
- Moroccan Chicken Stew served with couscous
- Slow Cooker Beef and Butternut Squash Stew
- The best Winter Soups for dinner
Beef and Vegetable Stew with Biscuit Topping
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 lbs beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 carrots cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 6 oz white button mushrooms sliced ⅜ inch thick
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup steak sauce such as A1
- 1½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2¼ cups packaged biscuit mix
- ⅔ cup milk
- Heat oven to 325°F. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper; toss with beef until coated well. In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. in two batches, cook beef (adding 1 tbsp oil to second batch), turning, until browned, about 4 min. Transfer to a plate. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic to pot. Cook, stirring until wilted, 8 min. Stir in beef, mushrooms, wine, broth, steak sauce and Italian seasoning. Cover; bake 50 min. Remove from oven.
- About 20 min before serving, stir together biscuit mix and milk until just combined.
- Increase oven to 400°. (To make individual servings, transfer beef mixture to pint-size casserole pans.) Drop biscuit batter in mounds over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, until biscuits are lightly browned, 15 to 20 min.
Try my new Tara Teaspoon Soups:
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Butternut Squash Soup with Easy Flavor Variations
- Best Winter Soups
- Chicken Chili Verde
- The Best Chili Toppers | Tara Teaspoon
- Classic Chili For A Crowd | Tara Teaspoon
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon. Food Stylist Nicole Faber. Prop Stylist Carol Linnan. Originally Published LHJ 01/09