Chicken Tomato Bisque is a creamy soup that you can make in under an hour! Add chicken for a complete meal in a bowl the whole family will love.
Chicken Tomato Bisque
Plus Kid-style tips!
First, this is an easy, really good creamy tomato soup. Make it in under an hour—we all have things to do, people to see…
Then you add shredded chicken (leftovers are awesome for this!), and it makes a complete meal—right in the bowl.
As much as we’d like to deny it, kids are picky. Also, grown women like me are picky, but that’s for another time.
So unless your children are like my food-hero-nephew Jackson, who asks for broccoli for breakfast, here’s a thought:
Don’t add the chicken to the soup (also leave off the beautiful leafy oregano garnish). Cut chicken into little bites along with some squares of bread and cheese and hand the child some toothpicks. Let them dunk skewered bites of these morsels into the tomato soup. FTW*
*That means “for the win” for people like me who had to Google it.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28-oz) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp chopped oregano
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups (12 oz) shredded cooked chicken
- In a 6-qt pot over medium-high heat, combine olive oil, carrot, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft, 6 to 8 min. Stir in flour until vegetables are coated, then add tomatoes. Add broth and ½ tsp oregano and stir, breaking up tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 8 to 10 min.
- Working in small batches, puree soup in a blender of food processor and transfer back to pot. Stir in cream, salt and chicken and heat through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper and serve garnished with remaining oregano.
This is an easy, really good creamy tomato soup. Make it in under an hour.