A creamy tomato soup recipe, called a tomato bisque. With tender chicken to be hearty and filling–you can make in under an hour!
My favorite homemade tomato soup is easy, delicious and creamy! You can make this in just a few minutes with pantry staples.
Made with pantry staples
Homemade creamy tomato soup is comfort food at it's finest.
First, this is an easy, really good creamy tomato soup. Make it in under an hour—we all have things to do, people to see…
With ingredients like canned tomatoes, garlic, carrots, onions and broth, you probably don't have to do much shopping for dinner tonight.
I added fresh oregano to this simple soup to take it up a notch. If you want you can sub dried oregano from the spice rack.
Add shredded rotisserie chicken (leftovers are awesome for this!), and it makes a complete meal—right in the bowl.
More of my delicious soup recipes:
- Mexican Tomatillo and Beef Soup
- Mushroom Ravioli Soup
- My Best Winter Soups Collection
- Butternut Squash Soup with easy flavor variations
Tomato bisque soup recipe
The definition of a bisque originated with a seafood soup, with cream and the tender meat of shellfish.
A broth is made with the shellfish and other ingredients. The fish is removed and the soup gets pureed. A little cream is usually added and the fish goes back in.
These days you'll find any silky, creamy soup called a bisque. I think this qualifies for a few lovely reasons.
I use tomatoes, cream and chicken broth to make a velvety and creamy tomato soup. Then I add chicken to the silky soup. Just my take on a classic!
Make vegan creamy tomato soup
Make this tomato soup vegan by swapping a few ingredients.
- Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- Use a nut milk creamer like cashew or hemp seed milk in place of the cream.
- Leave out the chicken. Add cubed tofu if you'd like.
Different kinds of soup
A silky, creamy soup is called a bisque. A thick soup is usually called a stew. A chowder has clams or corn and potatoes. There are broth soups and pureed soups.
This tomato bisque soup is dreamy on it's own or with chicken. Check out my tip for serving it to kids below.
As much as we’d like to deny it, kids are picky. Also, grown women like me are picky, but that’s for another time.
So unless your children are like my food-hero-nephew Jackson, who asks for broccoli for breakfast, here’s a thought:
Don’t add the chicken to the soup (also leave off the beautiful leafy oregano garnish). Cut chicken into little bites along with some squares of bread and cheese and hand the child some toothpicks. Let them dunk skewered bites of these morsels into the tomato soup. FTW*
*That means “for the win” for people like me who had to Google it.
How to make:
Here's how to make my creamy tomato soup recipe in a few easy steps.
• Cook the carrot, onion and garlic so they are fragrant and soft.
• I added flour to help the silky and velvety texture come through.
• Add the tomatoes, broth and oregano and simmer.
• Puree the soup in a blender and add the cream, and chicken if desired.
Creamy Chicken Tomato Bisque
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28-oz) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp chopped oregano
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups (12 oz) shredded cooked chicken
- In a 6-qt pot over medium-high heat, combine olive oil, carrot, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft, 6 to 8 min. Stir in flour until vegetables are coated, then add tomatoes. Add broth and ½ tsp oregano and stir, breaking up tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 8 to 10 min.
- Working in small batches, puree soup in a blender of food processor and transfer back to pot. Stir in cream, salt and chicken and heat through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper and serve garnished with remaining oregano.
Use these kitchen tools to make this pureed soup recipe:
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Butternut Squash Soup with Easy Flavor Variations
- Best Winter Soups
- Chicken Chili Verde
- The Best Chili Toppers | Tara Teaspoon
- Classic Chili For A Crowd | Tara Teaspoon
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!