Beef and squash stew in the slow cooker is just what you need for the winter weekend. This healthful, low-fat and veggie-packed dinner is also great for detoxing after the holidays.
I wanted a stew loaded with vegetables. I often feel like with just beef stew you have to make a separate salad or vegetable side to make a complete meal. This beautiful and tasty dish is basically a one pan meal! Also, did I just say a slow cooker recipe was beautiful?? HA! It totally is!
I used thin slices of butternut squash for the top of the stew. To thinly slice the squash for the top use a mandolin or slicer. The slices don't have to be perfect. Just arranged in an overlapping pattern they braise to be tender and act as a beautiful "crust".
The fennel and squash add a slight sweetness to this dish, but also makes it healthy and hearty. I added tomatoes for richness and a little tangy acidity with the tender beef and sweet veggies. This dinner is family friendly but also diet friendly!
Beef and Squash Stew
- 2¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ lbs lean boneless beef chuck or round roast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium fennel bulb cut into ½ -inch wedges
- ¾ lb Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can (28-oz can) whole tomatoes drained and halved
- 1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Combine thyme, salt and pepper; reserve 1 teaspoon of the mixture and stir cornstarch into the remainder. Toss the beef, fennel and potato in the cornstarch mixture and place in a 6-qt slow cooker, fitting the ingredients tightly; add tomatoes.
- Toss squash with oil and 1 teaspoon of the thyme mixture. Arrange the smaller pieces of squash on top of stew in a circular pattern, then repeat with the larger rounds to create a second layer; cover and cook 4½hr on high or 8 hr on low.
Main Dish Recipes
- The Best Recipe for Turkey Pot Pie with Gravy
- Corn and Chorizo Tacos
- Vegetarian Meatballs With Harissa Are The Best Meatless Meatballs
- Beef Tenderloin with Fresh Cranberry Relish
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Poutine with Sweet Potato Fries
- How To Grill Pork Tenderloin: Topped with Goat Cheese, Rosemary, and Honey
- The Best Mexican Meatballs With Chipotle And Adobo
- Real Cashew Chicken Recipe
Recipe by Tara Bench and Khalil Hymore. Photographer: Peter Ardito. Food Stylist: Susan Ottaviano. Prop Stylist: Michelle Wong. Originally published in LHJ 2/11