Spicy roasted spuds are a fresh alternative to traditional mashed sweet potatoes.
As far as Thanksgiving sides go, I really like my mom's sweet potatoes baked with brown sugar and topped with mini marshmallows, toasted just a little, so they're golden brown.
Sugar rush anyone? But they're sooooo good.
For those of you on the other side of the sweet potato camp, here is a delicious option. These orange spuds are sliced and roasted in salt and olive oil, then drizzled with just a touch of spicy honey. Not too sweet, with a kick of heat and herbs. I would be convinced to come over to your team, but just for the day.
Chile Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs 4 to 5 sweet potatoes
- 5 dried red chile peppers
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oven to 400ºF. Place 2 rimmed baking sheets on separate racks in the oven to heat.
- 2. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into ¼-inch-thick slices. Coarsely chop 4 chiles and toss with potatoes, olive oil, salt and 2 tbsp honey in a large bowl. Remove baking sheets from oven and quickly arrange potatoes on pans in a single layer; return pans to oven. Bake 30 min, until golden and soft, turning potatoes over halfway through.
- 3. Heat 2 tablespoon honey in microwave for a few seconds and brush over sweet potatoes. Transfer to serving dish, chop remaining red chile and sprinkle onto sweet potatoes with parsley.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Sweet and Super Moist Gluten-Free Cornbread
- Best Panzanella Salad Recipe with Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Super Soft Classic Dinner Rolls
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumbs
- Delicious Easy Side Dishes for Ham Dinner
- Browned Butter Green Beans with Almonds
- The Best Easter Dinner Sides
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
Recipe by Tara Bench. Originally published in LHJ Nov 2009. Food Styling Jee Levin. Prop Styling Jen Everett. Photography Miki Duisterhof
These really are a great savory option for sweet potatoes! Love them! Just the right amount of sweet/savory situation going on.
I love roasted sweet potatoes. The chile, honey and caramelization from roasting the potatoes was the perfect combination of flavors!