These little button cookies are like mini bites of gingerbread bedazzled with jewels. The crystal sugar gives them a sweet little crunch.
Tiny ginger cookies like these are perfect for gifting in a little bag. If you don't eat them all before they get out the door, that is. Happy Holidays!
Ginger Spice Buttons
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups lightly toasted blanched almonds finely ground
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Large crystal sugar
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth, scraping inside of bowl. Beat in molasses, vanilla and salt, then stir in flour, almonds, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Wrap and chill dough for 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, roll in crystal sugar and place on baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 8 min. Cool on pans 3 min. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Store airtight up to 5 days.
Tasty cookie recipes!
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
Recipe by Tara Bench. Photography Jose Picayo. Food Stylist: Sarah Neumeier. Recipe originally published in LHJ Dec 09
Mary Bench says
How pretty! I love gingerbread and these look divine!
Brittany Smart says
Gingerbread is the best!