These little button cookies are like mini bites of gingerbread bedazzled with jewels. The crystal sugar gives them a sweet little crunch.
Tiny ginger cookies like these are perfect for gifting in a little bag. If you don't eat them all before they get out the door, that is. Happy Holidays!
Ginger Spice Buttons
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups lightly toasted blanched almonds finely ground
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- Large crystal sugar
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth, scraping inside of bowl. Beat in molasses, vanilla and salt, then stir in flour, almonds, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Wrap and chill dough for 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, roll in crystal sugar and place on baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 8 min. Cool on pans 3 min. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Store airtight up to 5 days.
Tasty cookie recipes!
- Magnificent and Easy Coconut Macaroons with Variations
- Classic Graham Cracker Cookie Recipe with Frosting
- Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies: Almond Ginger Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Moravian Spice Cookies with Honey - Spiced Honey Snaps
- No-Bake Cookies for Halloween - Easy Graham Cracker Sandwiches with Sprinkles
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies In The World
- Black Sesame Chocolate Chip Cookies with Soy Sauce
- Chick and Bunny No-Bake Cookies for Easter
Recipe by Tara Bench. Photography Jose Picayo. Food Stylist: Sarah Neumeier. Recipe originally published in LHJ Dec 09