These little button cookies are like mini bites of gingerbread bedazzled with jewels. The crystal sugar gives them a sweet little crunch.
Tiny ginger cookies like these are perfect for gifting in a little bag. If you don't eat them all before they get out the door, that is. Happy Holidays!
Ginger Spice Buttons
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups lightly toasted blanched almonds finely ground
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- Large crystal sugar
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until smooth, scraping inside of bowl. Beat in molasses, vanilla and salt, then stir in flour, almonds, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Wrap and chill dough for 1 hr.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 1-inch balls, roll in crystal sugar and place on baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 8 min. Cool on pans 3 min. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Store airtight up to 5 days.
- Brussels Sprouts With Apricots & Pistachios
- Roast Ham with Spiced Honey Glaze
- Holiday Ham Recipe with Pomegranate Brown Sugar Glaze
- Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich with Ham and Chutney
- Christmas Dinner Party Ideas - One Holiday Grocery List
- The Best Holiday Appetizer - Christmas Tree Lettuce Wraps
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!
Photography Jose Picayo
Recipe by Tara Bench
Food Stylist: Sarah Neumeier
Recipe originally published in Ladies' Home Journal Dec 09