Sesame Chicken Skewers with a flavorful Ginger Slaw make a fresh, easy dinner. The crispy chicken will be a hit with the entire family.
How to make ginger slaw:
- Toss together cabbage, bell peppers, snow peas, scallions and cucumbers in a large bowl, set aside
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and pepper flakes in another bowl until sugar is dissolved
- Add 1/3 cup oil in slow stream, whisking constantly until thickened and emulsified
- Toss dressing with vegetables
This ginger slaw is simple and versatile and goes nicely with just about anything. I make it with sesame chicken skewers, as well as beef or even pork.
Save the ginger dressing in the refrigerator for up to a week and use it to embellish any of your salads, or a nice rice bowl. Let me know what you pair it with!
Ginger slaw is versatile and pairs with any meat.
You can also pair the ginger slaw with other meats and use the dressing on any Asian salad.
Sesame Chicken Skewers With Ginger Slaw
- ½ head (about 2 lbs) Napa or Savoy cabbage thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper halved, stems and seeds discarded, thinly sliced
- ½ yellow bell pepper halved, stems and seeds discarded, thinly sliced
- ¼ lb snow peas trimmed, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- ½ seedless cucumber quartered lengthwise and sliced
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup canola oil
Sesame Chicken Skewers
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1½ lbs total) cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 6-inch bamboo skewers
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- For Ginger Slaw, toss together cabbage, bell peppers, snow peas, scallion and cucumber in large serving bowl; set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and pepper flakes until sugar is dissolved. Add ⅓ cup oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly, until thickened and emulsified: set aside.
- For the chicken: Whisk together egg and hoisin sauce in a shallow bowl; add chicken and turn until coated on all sides. Combine sesame seeds, cornstarch and salt in a shallow bowl. Thread chicken onto skewers and roll in sesame mixture, coating well on all sides.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add skewers and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Pour dressing over ginger slaw and toss until coated well; serve with warm chicken skewers.
More sesame and ginger recipes:
Pin this recipe!
Writing Anne Marie Miller & Tara Teaspoon. Recipes, Photography and Food Styling Tara Teaspoon. LHJ 06/07