Make a family Breakfast Turnover for Sunday morning. It’s filled with ham, eggs, cheese and earthy mushrooms, wrapped in flakey puff pastry.
I say anything wrapped in puff pastry wins. And when it’s breakfast, it’s even better. All the things you love in one giant turnover, makes a delicious family-style brunch dish everyone will devour.
I wanted a flavorful, savory turnover that had all the elements you’d love in a great omelet. I sautéed mushrooms and added thyme leaves. I used Fontina cheese for a stout kick and salty Black Forest ham to round out the egg combo.
Wrapping all of this in puff pastry turns it into an adult pop tart! Haha. But giant-sized, so you get to share! Using premade puff pastry makes this process a cinch. Just a couple of turns with the rolling pin gets the square to the perfect size. And it’s simple to fill: layer on your toppings, fold over and seal the edges.
Make this tasty Breakfast Turnover with other combos and flavors of veggies and cheese. It’s delicious any way you slice it!
Fontina cheese heralds from Italy, and there are Swedish and Danish versions. It’s a rich, pungent, almost mushroomy-tasting cheese that melts like a dream. It pairs well with my additions of mushrooms and thyme.
You can play around with other combos for this giant breakfast turnover. Use other cheeses, veggies, and even sausage (or no meat at all!). It’s a great technique for making a delicious brunch dish!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups (6 oz) sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dry
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated Fontina cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 sheet from 1 box 14 oz puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- 4 oz sliced Black Forest ham
- Heat oven to 375°F with rack in lower third. Line a baking sheet with parchment
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil; add mushrooms and sauté until golden. Add ¼ tsp salt and thyme and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the cheese, 1 egg ¼ tsp salt and pepper. Roll pastry on a floured surface into an 11-by-11-inch square and place on prepared baking sheet. Place a layer of ham on one half of the dough, leaving a 1-inch border of pastry. Add mushrooms, egg mixture and another layer of ham.
- Lightly beat remaining egg and brush border of pastry. Fold dough over filling and press to seal edges. Chill 20 min or freeze for 10 min.
- Trim edges and brush entire pastry with beaten egg. Cut 3 vents on top of pastry. Bake, rotating once, until crust is golden brown and puffed, 35 to 40 min. Transfer turnover on parchment to rack and cool 10 to 15 min. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make this tasty Breakfast Turnover with other combos and flavors of veggies and cheese.
I found some other great breakfast recipes from my site and around the web that you might like!
Recipe by Tara Bench. Photographs by Yunkee Kim. Prop styling by Megan Hedgepeth. Food Styling Annie Disrude. Originally published 3/09 in Ladies’ Home Journal.