Huevos with Black Bean Hash Browns is one of my favorite breakfast and brunch recipes. Seasoned hash browns get mashed black beans, onion and jalapeño mixed in for the perfect side to your morning eggs.
Some folks are all about tacos, burritos and nachos for Cinco de Mayo. You know, the usual (delicious) fare.
I say make an entire day of it and start Cinco de Mayo-ing in the morning!!
I am sure you're thinking Huevos Rancheros! I eat that in the morning all the time! Or, some of the time. Or, occasionally when I go out for breakfast. I take that and raise you some spicy black bean hash browns. This will change your life and give regular old huevos rancheros a run for it's money.
(by the way Kerby Lane Cafe in Austin, TX takes this whole Mexican-in-the-morning thing seriously. You can order--and I have--their famous Kerby Queso and chips for breakfast!! Well...I ordered them as an appetizer to my pancakes. Priorities!!
And I only mention this because it was life-changing and delicious and I thought if you're ever in Austin you should consider the option.)
Huevos With Black Bean Hash Browns
- 3 cups frozen hash browns thawed
- 1 cup canned black beans rinsed
- ¾ teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon each chili powder and kosher salt
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small jalapeño seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- cooking spray
- 6 fried eggs
- Pulse hash browns and black beans in food processor until mixed but chunky (about 10 pulses). Combine with cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, onion, jalapeño and egg. Form mixture into 6 ½-inch-thick patties and spray each side generously with cooking spray.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook patties about 5 min on each side (if using a skillet, work in batches). Keep on a baking sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve.
- Serve hash browns with fried eggs and desired toppings.