Tahini, a smooth sesame seed butter, adds richness and mild flavor to this sweet, savory spread.
Depending on the mood of your local grocer, you’ll find the tahini near the peanut butter, in the health food section, or in the international foods aisle. Oh my! No matter where you find it, it keeps in your fridge for many months, so you don’t have to search again for a long time. (I make really weird rationalizations for food!)
Toasts With Sweet Potato Spread
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 carrot diced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 slices nut and seed bread toasted
- Cucumber slices
- Heat oven to 375º F. Toss sweet potato, carrot, onion and olive oil. Bake in covered roasting pan until soft, 40 min.
- Puree vegetables in food processor with tahini, salt, curry powder and cumin.
- Top 4 slices toasted bread with sweet potato spread, cucumber slices and snipped chives. Refrigerate spread up to a week.