Tahini, a smooth sesame seed butter, adds richness and mild flavor to this sweet, savory spread.
Depending on the mood of your local grocer, you'll find the tahini near the peanut butter, in the health food section, or in the international foods aisle. Oh my! No matter where you find it, it keeps in your fridge for many months, so you don't have to search again for a long time. (I make really weird rationalizations for food!)
This spread is creamy and mildly spiced. Try it as an appetizer on crackers as well.
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 carrot diced
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 4 slices nut and seed bread toasted
- Cucumber slices
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss sweet potato, carrot, onion and olive oil. Bake in covered roasting pan until soft, 40 min. Puree in food processor with tahini, salt curry powder and cumin. Top 4 slices toasted bread with sweet potato spread, cucumber slices and snipped chives. Refrigerate spread up to a week.
- Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls No Yeast Needed!
- How To Make A Soft Fluffy Cinnamon Roll Recipe With Milk Bread
- Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich with Ham and Chutney
- Savory Bacon Mushroom Strata Recipe
- Southwest Frittata with Black Beans
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!