Quick breads are a fall favorite, and Whole Wheat Walnut Pumpkin Bread brings all the seasonal flavors together. For breakfast or snacking, this take on pumpkin bread is delicious.
This whole grain twist on classic pumpkin bread is the ultimate fall treat. I love the crunchy walnuts throughout and baked right on top. Those nuts make a delicious crunchy topping, and the best nooks and crannies for the icing to fall into.
I had a can of pumpkin + whole wheat flour + it's October = this recipe. Plus I love a quick-breads. Love 'em. Love saying it, love making it.
This bread is lightly spiced so the walnuts and pumpkin don't get overpowered, with a tiny bit of maple cinnamon glaze (just to make sure I hit my sugar minimum before noon). Although plenty of butter slathered on a slice works as well.
I typically don't use pumpkin pie spice because depending on the brand, I find it has too much nutmeg or too much allspice. But I really like the simplicity of it. I used it here, but not a lot; then added an extra punch of cinnamon (because that's the flavor I really want the most of). You can do the same in any recipe--simply reduce the amount of pumpkin pie spice in your recipe and add extra cinnamon or ginger.
Yes, yes of course! You can swap out the walnuts for chocolate chips! (It's quite delicious as you can imagine). I'd omit the glaze.
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup broken walnuts plus more for the top
For the glaze:
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Make the bread:
- Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease a large loaf pan (9 ¼ x 5 ¼ inches) with cooking spray, and line with a strip of parchment if desired.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the brown sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree and milk and whisk until combined.
- In another bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pie spice and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk together just until mixed. Stir in the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and top the center of the loaf with extra walnuts.
- Bake for 1 hour, until bread springs back when touched on the top and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool about 15 minutes in the pan then remove to cool completely on a rack.
Make the glaze:
- Stir together the confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and cinnamon. Add a little water to make a glaze consistency. When bread is cool, drizzle with glaze.
Delicious bread and quick-bread recipes
- One Banana Banana Bread
- Soft and Fluffy White Bread Recipe (Japanese Milk Bread)
- Sweet and Super Moist Gluten-Free Cornbread
- Homemade Soft and Sweet Cornbread
- Orange Streusel Rhubarb Muffin Recipe
- Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls No Yeast Needed!
- How To Make A Soft Fluffy Cinnamon Roll Recipe With Milk Bread
- Pulla Bread - Finnish Cardamom Bread