Apple cinnamon popcorn is a take on the classic flavor combination. Just a little cinnamon spice and lots of fruity apple flavor covers this easy buttered-popcorn snack.
How to get apple flavor on popcorn:
Just how do you get tangy, sweet apple flavor on popcorn? I was determined to find a way. Keeping my popcorn crisp and fluffy was key, so no adding fresh apple to my buttered popcorn. I knew I had to create some sort of powder to dust on it.
Apple and cinnamon is classic! Buttered popcorn is classic. Why not class up your snacks with a double whammy: Apple Cinnamon Popcorn!
Crispy apple chips are the secret! In come freeze dried apples! Not just any dried apple with do – soft dried apples don't become small enough when chopped to disperse evenly. They also have too much moisture so the popcorn gets soggy. Freeze dried apples are easy to find (I get my freeze dried apples at Target), and pulverize in the food processor to become the most versatile powder!
I process the apples with a little confectioners' sugar and the cinnamon. This creates more of a powder and adds a little sweetness.
How do you make apple cinnamon popcorn:
This is easy to make, and the extra seasoning mixture keeps in the cupboard for another time. What a great snack for movie night, after school or school bake sales!
- In a food processor or blender, blend freeze dried apples, confectioners' sugar and cinnamon to a fine powder.
- Cook microwave popcorn or butter, hot air-popped popcorn and toss with 6 tablespoons of seasoning.
- Serve immediately or let cool and store in an airtight container.
What is the secret to apple cinnamon popcorn?
First it's the freeze dried apples! They become the perfect seasoning powder when blended. Next, make sure you have some delicious, hot buttered popcorn.
I love using microwave popcorn for this recipe. It's the same popcorn I use for my Barbecue Popcorn and Chocolate Malt Popcorn! Microwave popcorn is buttery so the seasoning mixture sticks, and it's salty so you get a fun salty-sweet flavor combo.
If you have an air popper I also like making my own and using a drizzle of melted butter to coat the hot popcorn. Then the seasoning mixture just gets stirred right in! If you love air popped popcorn, try this popcorn air popper.
Apple Cinnamon Popcorn
- 1⅓ cups (2 oz) freeze-dried apples or apple chips
- 2 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 cups buttered popcorn
- Blend together apples, confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon in a blender or food processor until powdery.
- Toss 6 tablespoon apple powder mixture with 1 bag hot microwave popcorn or 8 cups of hot air-popped buttered popcorn.
- Store extra apple cinnamon mixture for another batch. Keep popcorn airtight up to 3 days.
Try my other popcorn recipes for snacking:
Or other fun popcorn snacks from my friends:
Newest recipes from Tara Teaspoon!
Recipe & photography by Tara Teaspoon. Recipe originally published in LHJ