A spicy popcorn seasoning with a hint of sweet, a little cinnamon & hot chili powder. Make this easy snack with homemade or microwave popcorn! You'll never want just butter again.
You nailed the party invites. Now score on the snacks! This popcorn seasoning recipe is a winner for healthy snacking and party starters.
Click to any topic on this post:
Quick-click Table of Contents:
I'm a huge fan of flavored popcorn. I have a number of Seasoned Popcorn recipes on the blog. All of these recipes are super easy, and can be made with microwaved or homemade popcorn.
This spicy popcorn recipe is a crowd pleaser with a hint of heat and a touch of sweetness.
How to make Homemade popcorn seasoning: sweet chili
What a treat! Like that perfect combo of homemade chili and cornbread. This sweet chili popcorn seasoning brings those flavors together in a snack.
This spicy popcorn is perfect for a party snack, food gift or movie night treat.
If you're serving this at a party, serve it out of a big bowl with cute paper cups for individual servings
As a food gift this chili popcorn is great packed into cellophane bags and tied with kitchen twine.
How to season popcorn properly
Check out these tricks because you'll want your popcorn is seasoned to perfection. Whether you are starting with homemade popcorn or microwaved popcorn, my tips will help.
First: Have your seasoning mix ready.
If you have made stovetop or air popped popcorn you'll need some melted butter on hand as well.
Second: Have a large bowl ready.
The popcorn with need to be tossed and you don't want it falling out of a small bowl!
Third: Toss the popcorn in the seasoning mixture while it's still HOT! Butter first (if you are using homemade popcorn) then the spices.
Microwave or Homemade Popcorn
Homemade popcorn should be tossed in melted butter before the flavoring is added, that way the seasoning will stick.
I use 6 to 7 tablespoons melted butter on 8 cups of air popped popcorn.
Microwave popcorn is easy to make and already has oil on it to help the seasoning adhere. Just make sure to flavor the popcorn while hot.
More ideas with DIY popcorn seasoning:
I love a good popcorn snack, and have loads of flavored popcorn recipes. From sweet to savory, you'll want to try all of them!
Sweet Chili Spicy Popcorn
- 3 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 1½ tsp paprika
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 6 tbsp melted butter, optional
- Mix together sugar, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper and paprika. Toss 2½ tbsp mixture with 1 bag hot microwave popcorn or 8 cups of hot air-popped and buttered popcorn.
- Store extra spice mixture for later. Keep popcorn airtight up to 3 days.
Refreshing & fun drink recipes
- Fresh Mint Limeade – With Real Limes or Concentrate
- Protein Powder Smoothie Flavor Mix-Ins
- Kumquat Thyme Cocktail And Easy Ways To Use Simple Syrup
- Earl Grey Cocktail for a Sophisticated Sip
- Tropical Vacation Mango Smoothie
- Protein Booster Almond and Banana Smoothie
- Refreshing Fruit Drink: Peach Ginger Fizz
- Tart Cherry Lime Granita
Recipe & Photography Tara Teaspoon, LHJ 03/09