Inspired by the classic Lady Grey cocktail, an Earl Grey cocktail is the ultimate choice of tea cocktails. This sip gives you a sophisticated taste with a slightly sweet finish. Make it with simple, fresh ingredients.
Tea is a perfect ingredient for creating new cocktails. And Earl Grey tea is the perfect one to make this refreshing alcoholic tea cocktail! Grab some Earl Grey tea from your cupboard and let’s get started.
Inspired by the Lady Grey Cocktail
I was first inspired to make this recipe thanks to a similar cocktail called the Lady Grey. Made with vodka, lemon, ginger, and Earl Grey tea, it sounded refreshing and so interesting to mix tea with alcohol. I had to make my own version.
Plus, this Earl Grey tea cocktail is perfect to turn into a batch-cocktail recipe (or large batch) to serve a crowd for a boozy tea party, picnic, or brunch. My tip is to keep the batch tea cocktail in a pitcher chilling in the fridge for guests to help themselves.
How To Make An Earl Grey Cocktail
An Earl Gray Cocktail is a simple and refreshing alcoholic tea, and it's so easy to make. A chic cocktail infused with tea, all you need to do is add simple syrup (instructions below) to prepared tea and top it off with fresh lemon juice and rum. It’s as easy as that!
Make sure to make your tea and cool it. You don't want a hot tea mixed with the other elements and ice or it will water down quickly.
How to make simple syrup:
- Simmer equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar dissolves
- Cool before using
If you’re throwing a cocktail party and need more drink recipes, or if you’re just looking to change up your signature drink, check out my recipe for Sparkling Grape Juice Cocktail with Elderflower. It too, is refreshing and unique.
Make A Mocktail!
If you would like to make a mocktail and leave out the alcohol, this recipe becomes a delicious, lightly sweetened and chilled Earl Grey tea drink.
You can add a bit of rum extract if you'd like to add the flavor of rum to your mocktail.
How to garnish Earl Grey Cocktails:
What’s a cocktail without the garnishes? I am all about presentation, and my Earl Grey Highballs are no exception.
- For a lemon curl use a vegetable peeler. Peel the lemon in a circular motion for a good curl, instead of a straight strip.
- Use whole herb sprigs in place of a stir stick.
- And beauty doesn’t have to be on the rim, slices of fruit mixed with the ice are also considered garnishes.
So sit back and relax, and enjoy this sophisticated tea cocktail perfect for any gathering.
Tea Cocktails FAQs
Earl Grey tea is traditionally made with black tea and bergamot oil, giving it a rich but citrusy flavor. Besides making a delicious tea, it's used to flavor cakes and chocolates. Today we are making it into a cocktail!
Feel free to switch the alcohol combination. This alcoholic tea would also be great with gin or vodka for a refreshing sip.
Let me know how it went!
Scroll to the bottom of the page to rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and comment on this recipe. Leaving comments helps other too!
More Great Drinks
Earl Grey Tea Cocktail
- 2 cups Earl Grey Tea prepared
- ½ cup Simple syrup
- 6 tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup Spiced Rum
- Lemon curls
- In a pitcher, stir all ingredients together.
- Pour over large ice cubes in cocktail glasses.
- Garnish with lemon curl.
Refreshing & fun drink recipes
- Classic Homemade Lemonade for Summer
- The Perfect Pina Colada
- Fresh Mint Limeade – With Real Limes or Concentrate
- Protein Powder Smoothie Flavor Mix-Ins
- Kumquat Thyme Cocktail And Easy Ways To Use Simple Syrup
- Tropical Vacation Mango Smoothie
- Protein Booster Almond and Banana Smoothie
- Refreshing Fruit Drink: Peach Ginger Fizz
Photography Ty Mecham. Recipe and food styling Tara Teaspoon. Prop styling Veronica Olson. Editor Ruby Neff.