This artichokes recipe with lemon mayo is a fresh variation on a classic side. The simplicity of the artichokes mixed with the zesty dip make a fun dish for spring.
Love artichokes? So do I. Love adding extra flavor to simple recipes? Me too. Artichokes with Lemon Mayo lets lemon and zesty mustard add excitement to your artichokes. Plus you can make these in the Instant Pot.
Artichokes have a special place in my heart. I remember sitting around the table as a little girl peeling off the artichoke petals and dipping them in lemon butter or mayo. Mom would always cook them in the pressure cooker because they take so long to get tender.
Now with Instant Pots and Multi Cookers it's a breeze to cook them.
Did you know: artichokes are high in fiber and low in calories!
Artichokes are a classic spring and early summer veggie, and a great way to mix up your dinner routine. They are a perfect side dish for entertaining as well.
What are artichokes?
Although mistakenly thought of as a vegetable, artichokes are actually a thistle, which is essentially a flower. However, this doesn’t mean they are any less healthy than vegetables. A medium sized artichoke has about 7 grams of fiber, 4 grams of protein and 60 calories.
How to perfectly cook your artichokes:
- Place artichokes in a large pot of salted water
- Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender when pierced with a knife (about 35-40 minutes)
- Drain well, serve warm with mayo
Don't have an Instant Pot or Multi Cooker? Get my favorite multi cooker here.
Growing up, we would always eat artichokes with regular mayonnaise and Miracle Whip. In fact, there was also a debate as to which was the better dip. Not being a huge fan of either I would dip my artichoke leaves in lemon butter. Mixing everyone's favorites together with a hint of mustard made this recipe supreme.
Easy to make Lemon Mayo with Mustard:
- In a medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, zest, juice and mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
Lemon Mayo Dip for artichokes is great on sandwiches too.
Artichokes With Lemon Mayo
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 zest of 1 lemon finely grated
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 fresh artichokes tops and outer leaves trimmed
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, zest, juice and mustard; salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
- Place artichokes in a large pot of salted water, cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender when pierced with a knife, 35 to 40 min. Drain well, Serve warm with mayo.
- For a multi cooker or instant pot, add 2 cups of salted water to the pot. Insert the steamer basket and add the artichokes stem-side down. Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes and manually release the steam after the cycle is done. Small artichokes will only take 8 to 10 minutes at high pressure.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Delicious Sides To Go With Ham Dinner
- Skillet Green Beans with Charred Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Beet and Roasted Carrot Salad with Kale, Spicy Pecans and Goat Cheese
- Miso Glazed Carrots with Sesame and Pomegranate
- Shortcut Potato Cheese Casserole
- Stunning Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin
- Roasted Broccoli with Sumac and Dried Fruit
Recipe Tara Teaspoon, Photography Iain Bagwell, Food Stylist . Originally published LHJ 03/08