Ham and Gruyere mini turnovers make any gathering special. Puff pastry stuffed with cheese and salty ham with a mustard dip are the perfect little nibble.
Having people over is one of my favorite things. Party!!
I like feeding people, it's my thing, so having friends and family visit, or come for dinner or a party is always a good time. I'm no dummy though, I know preparing for the gathering is a lot of work, sometimes stressful, and takes planning.
So, here's a pretty delicious solution for a great app—Ham and Gruyère Mini Turnovers. Nibble, snack and party fare that you can make and keep in the freezer to bake when you're ready. MY KIND OF ENTERTAINING! Love that planning ahead stuff!
The little pastry triangles are made with store-bought puff pastry. It's easy to fold out and cut into just the right shape for fold-over turnovers.
Take the stress out of entertaining with these Ham and Gruyere Mini Turnovers as a starter!
I love using a mild cheese with rich puff pastry. Gruyère cheese is a Swiss cheese with a buttery, almost nutty and mild flavor. It's one of the most perfect companions to salty ham as well.
For the ham, I ask the person behind the deli counter to cut it into 1/4 inch slices, so it's easy to slice and dice for this recipe. Use any extra diced ham in omelets or soup. I always double this recipe, so I have extra in the freezer for another time. They are also a great dinner accompaniment with a salad or soup!
Ham and Gruyère Mini Turnovers
- 1 cup (3 oz) grated Gruyère
- 4 oz cooked ham cut into ¼-inch dice
- 3 tbsp half-and-half
- 1½ tsp dried sage
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- Flour for work surface
- 1 box (17¼ oz) frozen puff pastry thawed
- 1 large egg beaten
- Whole-grain Dijon mustard for serving
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a bowl, stir together cheese, ham, half-and-half, sage and pepper. On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 pastry sheet to a 12-inch square; cut into 9 squares. Working with one square at a time, brush edges with egg and place 1 tbsp filling in center. Fold together opposite corners of square, forming a triangle, and press together edges to seal; decorate with tines of a fork. Transfer to a baking sheet, brush with egg and prick top of each once with a fork. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet, filling and egg.
- Bake 5 min. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15 min more. Serve warm, with mustard.
For more easy appetizers and snacks check these out!
Chicken Meatballs with Cumin and Orange with will be gone in a flash they are so tasty! I like them as a party app or with a salad for dinner.
Easy is an understatement with these Mozzarella Waffle Bites! Salsa dip gets spruced up with some peaches and frozen mozzarella bites get cooked in the waffle iron for kicks!
Newest recipes from Tara Teaspoon!
- The best reusable silicone food storage bags for an eco-friendly home
- Homemade Halloween Treats
- Tailgating Kabobs For Game Day
- Make a Fall Leaf Garland Out of Felt
- Pumpkin Cream Pie That is Silky and Perfectly Spiced
- Butternut Squash and Kale with Brown Rice and Pomegranates
Recipe: Tara Bench.nPhotographer: Iain Bagwell. Food stylist: Sally Jo O'Brien. Prop Stylist: Gerri Williams