These basil cookie cups with a creamy strawberry filling are one of my favorite, light summertime desserts.
What a perfect summer cookie recipe! A sweet, basil sugar cookie is baked in mini muffin tins to create little cookie cups. Add a cottage cheese strawberry filling and it’s an easy, fancy dessert.
I partnered with Hood Cottage Cheese to create recipes using their new flavor, Hood Cottage Cheese with Strawberry.
Cottage cheese is such a versatile food. We all know it as a tasty addition to breakfast or as a snack, but it’s even great as dessert!
I knew I wanted a creamy filling for my basil cookie cups, and this unsung hero of the dairy world was the perfect addition.
You can find Hood Cottage Cheese in your city here.
Easy Fancy Desserts:
A cookie cup just emotes fanciness! It’s petite and bite sized, and is usually filled and garnished to look so cute.
Cookie cups are one of my favorite summer desserts for parties. They are super simple to make, but look like ten times the effort.
I’ve added basil to my cookie cups to make them perfect for summertime. You can make them year round, but the flavors really stand out when the ingredients are in season.
I have more SUMMER COOKIE RECIPES to try:
- Cookie Bars with Pistachios and Cherries
- Classic Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies In The World
How to make cookie cups:
I used a delicious sugar cookie base for these individual desserts. Just the right ratio of butter, sugar, flour and eggs produces a cookie that holds its shape but stays soft and yummy.
- Make the cookie cups by following a few easy steps.
- Beat together the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients and fresh basil.
- Portion into greased mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes and immediately use a measuring spoon or melon baller to make cup indents.
- Let cookie cups cool and fill with Hood Cottage Cheese with Strawberry.
- Garnish with basil and fresh strawberries.
Desserts for a party:
I love making individual desserts for crowds. It saves me from cutting messy squares or having to serve guests.
These sugar cookie cups are an easy party dessert finger food too. My friends can pick up a treat and eat it in one or two bites.
Here are some more desserts for a party from my friends:
Make this summer cookie recipe ahead! Tip in recipe card.
Strawberry Basil Summer Cookie Recipe
Basil Cookie Cups
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Strawberry Cream Filling
- ¾ cup Hood Cottage Cheese with Strawberry
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- Strawberry pieces for garnish
- Basil for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until lightened, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed and add eggs and vanilla, beat until well combined.
- Mix in flour mixture and basil just until dough forms and everything is mixed together. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill dough until cold, about 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 mini muffin tins with cooking spray and set aside.
- Use a small cookie scoop or spoon to portion cold dough into mini muffin tins (fill each cup with 1 heaping tablespoon of dough) and press down slightly to flatten dough into cups.
- Bake until lightly golden and just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately use a melon-baller or a round measuring spoon to indent the centers to create a well in each cookie. Cool in pans for 5 minutes then use a small spatula or knife to remove cookies. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the Filling: Stir together the Hood Cottage Cheese with Strawberry, sugar and lemon zest.
- Spoon filling into each cookie cup and top with strawberry pieces and basil. Filled cookies can be kept, refrigerated, for up to 3 hours.
Tasty cookie recipes!
- Chocolate Snowman Cookies
- Honey Cinnamon Cut Out Cookies | Tara Teaspoon
- Classic Iced Oatmeal Cookies
- Marshmallow Ghost Cookies
- Blossom Cookies with Cashew Butter and Chai Spice (Chai Cookies)
- Classic Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- The Best Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Magnificent and Easy Coconut Macaroons with Variations
By Tara Teaspoon. Photography by Ty Mecham. 08/19