My take on a chicken pot pie with a healthy, spinach pie twist. I added mushrooms and greens to load up on awesome veggies, and a light, crisp phyllo crust.
Make this Chicken Spinach Casserole Recipe:
This easy pot pie comes together quickly in a skillet. Then, simply transfer it to a baking dish and top it with a few layers of buttered phyllo.
The phyllo bakes into a light, crispy crust – leaving you with a tasty version of pot pie that isn't weighed down by a traditional pastry crust.
Use a store bought rotisserie chicken for this comforting homemade meal. The flavors in this chicken and spinach casserole are a delicious combination of veggies, chicken and gravy.
I used fresh mushrooms cooked in a little butter and olive oil to start the development of flavors. I chose shiitake mushrooms because they are tender when cooked and have a great mushroom taste without being overpowering.
I love adding spinach to my main dishes. It's an easy way to get in healthy green veggies, without changing the flavor of the entire dish too much.
I added spinach to my chicken enchilada casserole (an easy main dish using polenta instead of tortillas!).
Spinach also makes a delicious appearance in my cheesy baked ravioli dinner. It only takes a few minutes to prepare!
Tools Used for this Pot Pie:
How to make chicken and spinach casserole:
A bit of chicken broth, lemon juice and rosemary make the gravy for this pot pie made in a skillet. Start by sautéing your veggies, then make the gravy.
Check the recipe card for Gluten Free instructions!
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet.
- Add onion, then mushrooms, and cook until softened.
- Add spinach a bit at a time so it can wilt and release the juices.
- Stir everything together with the chicken.
- Combine flour, broth, lemon juice and seasonings in the skillet.
- Whisk until a gravy comes together.
- Combine gravy with chicken mixture.
- Butter phyllo sheets and layer on casserole.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbling.
Try my other easy, weeknight meals with chicken or spinach!
Easy Mushroom, Chicken and Spinach Pot Pie Recipe:
Chicken Spinach Casserole with Mushrooms and Phyllo
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 3 cups (1 lb) diced cooked chicken
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coarsely chopped rosemary
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp butter and olive oil, then add onions. Cook, stirring until just soft, about 4 min. Add mushrooms and ½ tsp salt and continue stirring until softened, about 4 min. Gradually add spinach and stir until completely wilted, about 2 min. Transfer to a large bowl and add chicken; wipe skillet clean.
- Whisk together flour, broth, lemon juice and ½ tsp salt and add to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk until mixture is boiling and simmer until just thick, about 2 min. Add to chicken mixture with ½ tbsp rosemary, then transfer to a 2-qt baking dish.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter and brush onto each phyllo sheet, layering one on top of the other. Gently place over baking dish and crimp the sides to fit. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary and bake until golden, 25 to 30 min. Let cool slightly before serving.
My new delicious and easy chicken recipes
- Fattoush Salad Recipe with Lemon Chicken, Dates, and Almonds
- The Best Mexican Meatballs With Chipotle And Adobo
- Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Mediterranean Chicken and Rice Lettuce Wraps
- Real Cashew Chicken Recipe