A two ingredient coconut haystacks recipe with delicious toasted coconut and white chocolate. Make these coconut candies in minutes.
Quick-click Table of Contents:
The gifting and devouring options are endless with this simple haystacks candy recipe.
They are genius as Christmas candy gifts, served at a spring party, Easter, Mother's Day or give them as a party favor at graduation.
Just two ingredients
Chocolate haystacks candy - A simple, two-ingredient candy that's a take on a classic.
Chocolate haystacks were one of my favorite candy treats when I was young. Mom would get me one to share whenever we would pass the candy counter at the mall. Mostly because she liked them!
Mom would also toast unsweetened coconut and melt bulk chocolate to make this coconut candy at Christmastime.
She would buy giant blocks of good quality chocolate for candy dipping and save some of it for these easy-to-make haystacks. They were always the first to go!
Coconut and chocolate
There are only two ingredients in haystacks candy–unsweetened coconut and chocolate.
Type of coconut
The type of coconut is important.
- Unsweetened, finely shredded coconut is the classic and traditional way to make coconut haystacks.
- There's no need to use the sweetened shredded coconut, because the chocolate is already plenty sweet.
- The unsweetened coconut gets toasted to a perfect golden brown. If you are using milk or semi-sweet chocolate you won't see the color. In these white chocolate haystacks you see the golden color through the thin layer of the chocolate.
How to make
Making white chocolate haystacks is as easy as melting high quality white chocolate, toasting coconut, and mixing it together.
I like to use two spoons or a very small cookie scoop to create little two-bite mounds. You can put the mounds right on a sheet of parchment and let them set or chill; or you can put them directly into a small candy cup.
I love these metallic candy cups. They are so versatile and can be used for any holiday or event and make this haystack candy look classy!
Make white chocolate haystacks with milk or dark chocolate
You can totally swap white chocolate for another chocolate. Most of my memories of traditional haystacks candy are with milk chocolate. It's just so delicious with the toasty coconut.
Feel free to use a semi-sweet or even dark chocolate to make your coconut candy.
Can I make these haystacks vegan?
It's easy to make these haystacks vegan. Use your favorite vegan chocolate chips or chocolate bar. Melt it slowly over a double boiler, or in 20 second segments in the microwave.
Stir the vegan chocolate into the coconut, dollop on parchment or in paper cups, and chill until set, or ready to serve.
Are white chocolate haystacks gluten-free?
Coconut and chocolate are both gluten-free. Your gluten-free candy lovers are in luck!
Be sure to use chocolate that has been produced in a gluten-free facility.
- 1 cup (6 oz) white-chocolate coating pieces melted
- 1½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut toasted
- In a mixing bowl thoroughly combine melted chocolate and coconut.
- Spoon small, 1- to-1½ tablespoon-sized mounds onto parchment or into mini paper or foil wrappers. Sprinkle with extra toasted coconut, if desired.
- Allow to set for about 30 minutes, or chill in the fridge. Store airtight in refrigerator or a cool, dry place for up to two weeks.