Alfredo Veggie Stromboli made with grab-and-go grocery store staples is easy to put together, and even easier to eat for dinner – Delicious!
Frozen pizza dough is a miracle. I love it so much. I typically keep it around for “leftover night” dinner. I roll it out, add some sauce, pesto or something else, top it with chopped up whatever-is-in-the-fridge and cover it with cheese. It’s one of my freezer staples.
I decided to mix it up and make stromboli. It’s like pizza-stuffed bread! Your entire dinner is wrapped up in dough and baked to perfection. I loaded it with veggies for a meatless meal and used a seasoned cream cheese instead of sauce.
Prepping all the veggies can take some time, so I streamlined the process and bought pre-sliced mushrooms, already shredded cheese and canned artichokes so I didn’t have to thaw them. My favorite, frozen pizza dough, makes dinner come together in only a few minutes. Leave it in the oven for a while and serve. Everyone is happy.
The recipe makes two stromboli, so half it if you aren’t serving a crowd. It disappears pretty fast though, so you may want the full recipe. Alfredo Veggie Stromboli for the win!
I love the tangy flavor from the sun-dried tomatoes and the herby cream cheese. The cream cheese mixed with melty shredded cheese makes the most perfect alfredo sauce once baked together in the oven.
I used canned artichokes because they are processed with water. The jarred type is marinated in oil and seasoning and I find them too salty and overpowering.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 8-oz container sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup canned or frozen, thawed, artichoke hearts
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 7-oz pkg (1¾ cups) low-sodium shredded mozzarella
- 1 2-lb pkg frozen pizza dough, thawed
- Flour for work surface
- ½ cup (5 oz) Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden, 6 to 8 mi; remove from heat. Pat artichoke hearts dry with paper towels and coarsely chop. Combine mushrooms, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes and shredded cheese; set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F with rack in the upper third. Working with half the dough at a time, roll into an 8-by-12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Mix together the cream cheese and Italian seasoning. Spread half the cream cheese mixture on dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Sprinkle with half the mushroom mixture.
- Fold dough over filling and pinch to seal the seam and ends. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining dough and ingredients. Cut a few deep vents in the top of each roll and bake for 30 min; tent loosely with foil, then bake until cooked through, 10 min more.
Get everyone to the table in a flash with more easy dinners like my Shriveled Ogre Nose Pizza. It uses frozen pizza dough too, and is topped with roasted veggies and ricotta. Whip up Corn Chorizo Tacos in a flash for a Mexican-inspired night. Happy cooking!