A jalapeño and cilantro crema make these easy blackened salmon tacos delicious. A pineapple and pickled red onion salsa is a bonus!
Blackened salmon is a quick and flavorful way to cook fish.
There are so many things you can do with salmon, but a dinner favorite is blackened salmon tacos. There is a trifecta of flavors here. Blackened salmon, fruity pickled salsa and fresh crema.
A unique salsa of red onions and pineapple create an acidic yet sweet salsa fresca.
Paired with the combined flavors of fiery jalapeño, citrus and cilantro in the crema, these tacos are sure to please!
The sweet acidity of the pineapple is the perfect flavor pairing for fish like salmon. Pickled onions are much more simple to make than it would seem! Make a quick fruit salsa with both.
Mix the onions with the pineapple, and lime, then let them sit together to pickle.
Here are the ingredients for the salsa:
- thinly chopped red onions
- diced pineapples
- lime juice
- brown sugar
Check out some of my other Fruit Salsa favorites: 15 Mind Blowing Fruit Salsa Recipes.
Cilantro Crema Recipe
I like my crema really flavorful. Lots of green, from the cilantro and jalapeño. With the lime and sour cream this recipe creates a beautiful and thick dressing that you can save for more tacos, or even a salad the next day!
Crema is so easy to make. The best part is that you can make it as spicy as you like! My recipe calls for ½ of a medium jalapeño, which is pretty mild. Ramp up the heat by using a whole jalapeño.
Use more lime juice to make the flavor more tangy.
Grilled Salmon Tacos
Making the grilled salmon tacos is so easy! I even cooked my salmon in the oven so it was hands-off cooking time.
Blackening Seasoning: My salmon taco rub is full of spices that really make the flavor stand out. With oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt, there will be a little bit of a kick to your tacos.
Here's another recipe where I use blackening seasoning: Blackened Salmon Sliders with Pickled Beets and Feta Yogurt
For additional toppings, I always make sure to have enough sliced limes on hand! Here I also sliced some red radishes to top off my relished blackened salmon.
Radishes are perfect because they are not only a popular topping for tacos, but they also pair well with fish dishes. Plus, they add a gorgeous pop of color to an already-colorful meal!
And don't forget to sprinkle the extra cilantro!
Try these other taco recipes:
Blackened Salmon Tacos with Pineapple and Cilantro Crema
Pickled Onions and Pineapple Salsa
- 1 ½ cups diced pineapple
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Jalapeño and Cilantro Crema
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ medium jalapeño stem and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lb salmon filet skin removed
- Olive oil spray
- 6 to 8 small flour tortillas warmed
- Sliced Radishes and Extra Lime Wedges for serving
- In a medium bowl stir together the pineapple, onion, lime juice, brown sugar and salt. Set aside in the refrigerator. Add the cilantro just before serving.
- In a food processor combine the sour cream, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Pulse 10 to 12 times until the jalapeño is finely chopped and the cilantro is blended in to the sour cream.
Blackened Salmon Tacos
- Heat oven to 400ºF. In a small bowl combine the oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt.
- Cut the salmon into 1 inch strips and coat with the blackening seasoning mixture.
- Place salmon on a non-stick baking sheet and spray with olive oil spray or cooking spray. Roast until just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve salmon, salsa, crema, radishes and tortillas together so everyone can make their own tacos. Squeeze extra lime on top if desired.
Main Dish Recipes
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
By Tara Teaspoon. Also written by Tessa Samuelsen. 07/19
Natalie L says
I'm loving the cilantro crema & pineapple salsa combo. This recipe is going to taste like summer in a taco! This is definitely my new favorite fish taco recipe!
The rub on this salmon is amazing! Delicious!
Cool! Thanks! Glad you like it!