Cracked wheat cereal with bacon and egg toasts is an irresistible breakfast situation! I mean, every single bite is delicious.
Growing up we had hot cereal a lot. Oatmeal for sure, cream of wheat and my favorite, cracked wheat. It was soft but not mushy, had a little chew and was nutty delicious.
Cracked wheat, if you've never had it, is similar in size to steel-cut oats. But oats cook up much softer than wheat. So with cracked wheat you end up with a chewy, nutty bites. Even better, you can cook a large batch at the beginning of the week and it's easy to heat any morning.
Cracked wheat often goes by the name bulgar wheat and is used in savory preparations like tabouleh. I like it both ways of course! And for breakfast it's great paired with the classic, bacon and eggs.
Cracked Wheat Cereal with Bacon and Egg Toasts is an uncomplicated breakfast, but pretty enough for a family gathering or holiday morning.
I made a quick scramble with cheese, on some toast and topped with bacon. My trick: cut a baguette on a diagonal and you get pieces for toast that are the perfect size to get a strip of bacon on. Bacon in every bite! (Also, I just toasted my slices in the toaster!)
It's breakfast! It shouldn't be complicated. It's just a fun new way to eat your favorite things. A pretty meal for a family get together or holiday morning.
Cracked-Wheat Cereal With Bacon-and-Egg Toasts
- 2 cups cracked wheat or bulgar wheat
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 slices thick-cut bacon
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoon reduced-fat milk plus more for serving
- ¼ cup (1 oz) grated cheddar
- ½ baguette cut into six ½-inch slices on a long diagonal
- 3 tablespoon honey
- Dried fruits and nuts
- In a medium pot, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and cracked wheat and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until almost all water is gone, about 15 min. Turn off heat and allow to sit, covered, for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until just crisp; place on paper towels to drain and reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 tablespoon milk, ¼ teaspoon salt and cheese. Heat reserved bacon fat in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add egg mixture and stir occasionally until eggs are just cooked, 3 to 4 min.
- Toast bread and top with scrambled eggs and 2 slices bacon. Serve cereal with honey and toppings.
Breakfast should be the best meal of the day! For more great ways to start the morning, check out these delicious recipes.
Maple Walnut Sticky Buns are a make-ahead yeast bread that practically melt in your mouth with mapley goodness and drizzled icing.
Raspberry French Toast Strata makes for a beautiful brunch treat; and who could resist dollops of cream cheese baked right in.