Here you'll find 31 of the perfect potato salad recipes to go with your BBQ, a picnic, or just a summer meal. From classic potato salad, German-style, vegan, with eggs, without eggs, creamy, and more–scroll through to find one your crowd will love.
Table of contents for this post:
- Tips for prepping, transporting and storing potato salad
- Red skin potato salad recipes
- Make a potato salad with no mayo
- Healthy potato salad recipes
- Potato salads with eggs
- Variations of German potato salad
- Traditional recipes for potato salad
- You'll want to try these salads with my BBQ recipes.
- Crowd pleasers: Not-so-classic potato salad recipes
A homemade potato salad is a quintessential side dish for summer. This side dish complements everything from authentic BBQ, and Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumsticks, to grilled kabobs and easy rib recipes.
You probably grew up with your mom or grandmother's take on a classic spud salad, and depending on where you lived, those recipes will all look different!
Whether you love this salad without mayo, with red potatoes, hot or cold German potato salad, a creamy potato salad with eggs, or without eggs, I have you covered!
I've collected the perfect list of potato salad recipes so you don't have to guess what recipe will work for your summer meal.
Choose from easy recipes, non-traditional flavors or those homestyle classics you grew up with. Comment below and tell me which one is your favorite!
Tips for prepping, transporting and storing potato salad
These helpful tips apply to most of the recipes included here. For the more unique, or vinegar-based salads you can refer to the individual post.
- Cook potatoes whole with the skin on to prevent mushy potatoes. Cutting potatoes, then simmering them creates water-logged potatoes.
- Unless your recipe calls for a specific potato, yellow or white waxy potatoes are best for texture and sturdiness.
- Salt the water you are cooking the potatoes in.
- For food-safety and quality, refrigerate the potato salad in airtight containers.
- Properly stored, creamy potato salad will last for 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Potato salad should not stay between the temperatures of 40 °F and 140 °F for more than 2 hours.
- Keep potato salads in an ice-filled cooler if you are eating outside in the sun.
Red skin potato salad recipes
Make a potato salad with no mayo
Healthy potato salad recipes
Potato salads with eggs
Variations of German potato salad
Traditional recipes for potato salad
You'll want to try these salads with my BBQ recipes.
- North Carolina Pulled Pork
- Three Ingredient Classic Ribs
- Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket
- Mushroom Burgers
- BBQ Mop Sauce
Crowd pleasers: Not-so-classic potato salad recipes
More side dish recipes I think you'll like!
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
- Sweet and Super Moist Gluten-Free Cornbread
- Best Panzanella Salad Recipe with Artichokes
- Baba Ganoush Recipe Loaded with Roasted Veggies
- Super Soft Classic Dinner Rolls
- Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese with Breadcrumbs
- Delicious Easy Side Dishes for Ham Dinner
- Browned Butter Green Beans with Almonds
- The Best Easter Dinner Sides
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
Also compiled by Megan Palmer
This is such a great and thoughtful potato salad round up! I especially loved the Healthy Herbed Potato Salad and the Summer's Best Potato Salad!
Oh my! What a beautiful and totally delicious collection of potato salad recipes - will save this and I will need to make them all - I am such a potato head and so is my family.
All of these look GREAT! I usually stick with traditional, but I'll give the southwest version a try!
what a fantastic collection! Potato salad is such a classic, and always a crowd pleaser! Perfect for the BBQ season!
Eileen Kelly says
Oh wow, not only are these amazing potato salad recipes, the tips for transporting are awesome. I'm starting with the not so classic salads - Meditteranean potato salad tomorrow.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen says
All these Potato Salad recipes look sooooo delicious! I could have these every day!
Wow a great collection of recipes! This totally comes in handy during BBQ season. They all look delicious but I have my eye on that instant pot potato salad, so good!
I was so inspired by the 31 of the perfect potato salad recipes! I am so looking forward to family get others again when it's safe to have them again. I went through most of these recipes and loved the creativity!
Oh wow, I never knew there are so many potato salad recipes out there. I was clueless. And missed so much 🙂 These salads all look fantastic. I honestly can't wait to try them all.
Yum! We love potato salad here! I can't wait to try some of these recipes! My family is going to love this!
katerina @ diethood.com says
So many fantastic potato salad recipes!! I would love to try them all! Delicious!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes says
I am so excited to try these potato salad recipes! They are all incredibly delicious!
I do love a good potato salad! I will be referring to a couple of these!
Sara Welch says
Potato salad is a summertime staple in my home! These all look so good; hard to pick which one to try first!
What a great collection and great inspiration to move out of the old traditional recipes! THank you!