The smoothest, most buttery and delicious frosting you'll ever make.
This luscious buttercream is made with a Swiss meringue technique. Swiss meringues, different than Italian meringues, mixes the sugar and egg whites together over heat, dissolving the sugar, then whipping it into a fluffy meringue. Add softened butter a little at a time and you end with the most dreamy, melt-in-your mouth frosting you can imagine.
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 8 sticks (4 cups) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water until sugar has dissolved, about 5 min. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers - you shouldn't feel any sugar crystals.
- Transfer bowl to the mixer with a whisk attachment or use a handheld mixer and beat on high until it cools and stiff peaks form, 10 to 12 min.
- Reduce speed to medium-high and add butter a few tablespoons at a time. (Buttercream may curdle but will become smooth as you continue to beat it.) Add Vanilla
- Use within a few hours or refrigerate for u to a week. Buttercream can be frozen for up to a month. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low until smooth.
- Lemon Lover's Layer Cake
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- The Best Frosting For Cookies
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- Simple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Best Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!