The smoothest, most buttery and delicious frosting you’ll ever make.
This luscious buttercream is made with a Swiss meringue technique. Swiss meringues, different than Italian meringues, mixes the sugar and egg whites together over heat, dissolving the sugar, then whipping it into a fluffy meringue. Add softened butter a little at a time and you end with the most dreamy, melt-in-your mouth frosting you can imagine.
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- 8 sticks (4 cups) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk together egg whites and sugar in a heatproof mixing bowl over a pan of simmering water until sugar has dissolved, about 5 min. Test by rubbing the mixture between your fingers - you shouldn't feel any sugar crystals.
- Transfer bowl to the mixer with a whisk attachment or use a handheld mixer and beat on high until it cools and stiff peaks form, 10 to 12 min.
- Reduce speed to medium-high and add butter a few tablespoons at a time. (Buttercream may curdle but will become smooth as you continue to beat it.) Add Vanilla
- Use within a few hours or refrigerate for u to a week. Buttercream can be frozen for up to a month. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat on low until smooth.
This is a double batch of meringue buttercream that is needed for larger projects like Party Rainbow Cake.