A hint of lemon adds freshness to this easy, 5-ingredient pea soup. A summer dinner made in minutes, that the whole family loves, before racing to the soccer game. You're not dreaming!
Growing up, pea soup usually meant a ham hock, simmered for hours with split peas and some herbs. It was delicious! One of my favorite meals when I was younger. However, a little too hearty and rich for a summer meal. And too slow for a quick dinner!
This 5-ingredient soup takes just minutes to make. A balance of flavor comes from sautéing scallions, or green onions in butter. Yes butter! You cook them for just a minute to soften and release the flavor, so the butter doesn't burn. It adds flavor and richness without excess oil or other ingredients.
A pinch of salt and squeeze of lemon bring the flavors out and add brightness.
Why use salt?
Did you know salt isn't a flavoring? Nope...it enhances the flavors of other things! By the way that's why I like a bit of salt in my baked goods. Brings out the flavor of the caramelized sugars, fats and even added tastes like vanilla extract!
Easy Peasy! This pea soup only needs 5 ingredients, including salt, to be super fast, and super good.
Of course for this easy soup, don't forget the peas. The main attraction! Frozen peas are packed with sweet flavor and are flash-frozen when they are packaged, so they retain their goodness. Plus I typically have a bag of frozen peas in the freezer at all times for good measure! So this soup is easy to pull out of a hat...or freezer if you will!
5-Ingredient Pea Soup
- 1½ tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 scallions white and green parts chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 14- to 16- oz bag frozen peas thawed
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add scallions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 min. Add 2½ cups water and bring to a boil.
- Reserve ½ cup of the peas and add the rest to the soup. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 5 to 6 min.
- Purée soup in batches until smooth; stir in lemon juice. Garnish with reserved peas.
Make a delicious soup recipe today
- Classic Chili with Ground Beef
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Butternut Squash Soup with Easy Flavor Variations
- Best Winter Soups
- Chicken Chili Verde
- The Best Chili Toppers