The best beef tenderloin roast with a fresh cranberry relish recipe. Use apples, orange, shallots & cranberries to make a robust and easy sauce for your beef roast.
Fresh cranberry relish recipe for beef
This homemade cranberry relish is loaded with flavor. Sweet, tart, savory and infused with orange, it is really perfect to serve with a roast.
Of course, this fresh cranberry relish would be delicious with roasted turkey. You can serve it in place of cranberry jelly or a cranberry sauce.
The fresh relish is not saucy, but crunchy and pretty. It's sophisticated enough to serve alongside a beef tenderloin roast. A fancy sauce for a fancy cut of meat!
Tenderloin is one of the best cuts of beef
A center cut tenderloin is a little pricey because it is a prized cut of beef. It's tender and lean and shouldn't be overcooked.
I like to sear it with a tasty salt crust and then finish it in the oven. The outside gets caramelized and flavorful and the inside stays juicy and pink.
The best beef tenderloin roast recipe
This is truly the best beef tenderloin recipe to make for a special dinner. Christmas or a lovely holiday meal is worthy of this roast.
I use about 2 ½ lbs of tenderloin and it will serve 6 to 8 people.
With a flavorful cranberry relish, the mild taste of beef tenderloin lets the fresh apples, cranberries, and orange shine. What a delicious combination.
I like to serve tenderloin roast with a sauce, but sometimes it is overpowering. A thick gravy or mustard sauce is typical, yet this fresh relish makes this recipe the best.
Sear on the stove then roast in the oven
To make this the best roast, I sear the beef in an oven-proof skillet on the stove to get a nice caramelized crust, then finish cooking it in the oven.
This not only gives the roast a gorgeous look, but also a tasty flavor to pair with the fresh cranberry relish recipe.
How to make homemade cranberry relish
Cranberries are very tart, and not very juicy unless cooked. To make a homemade cranberry relish I add sweet apples, savory shallots, orange juice and sugar. All the the ingredients come together to make a balanced sauce for beef.
Here are the easy steps to make a fresh relish:
- Pulse shallots and fresh or frozen cranberries in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Zest and orange and juice it, reserving both juice and zest.
- Chop a sweet apple, like Gala, into small dice and stir into the shallots and cranberries.
- Add sugar, orange juice and zest, salt, and chopped parsley.
You'll love these recipes for side dishes that go with this beef tenderloin:
- Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin from my new cookbook
- Roast Parsnips with Sage Butter
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes that go with anything
Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry and Shallot Relish
For the Beef:
- 2¼ lb beef tenderloin center cut roast
- 2 tbsps Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
For the Relish:
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped (⅓ cup)
- 1½ cups whole fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1½ cups sweet apple, like Gala chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsps orange zest
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- For the beef: Remove tenderloin from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Heat oven to 450°F.
- Make a paste with the Chinese 5 Spice powder, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and set aside.
- Rub salt all over tenderloin. Heat a large, oven-proof sauté pan on medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the tenderloin, turning until each side is a rich brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the entire pan to the oven and roast for 15 minutes for medium-rare, internal temperature should be 120°F to 125°F on a meat thermometer. When tenderloin is done remove it to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- For the cranberry relish: In a food processor chop the shallots and cranberries for 5 to 6 pulses. Remove to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with the sliced tenderloin.