The best beef tenderloin roast with a fresh cranberry relish recipe. Use apples, orange, shallots & cranberries to make a robust and easy sauce for your beef roast.
Fresh cranberry relish recipe for beef
This homemade cranberry relish is loaded with flavor. Sweet, tart, savory and infused with orange, it is really perfect to serve with a roast.
Of course, this fresh cranberry relish would be delicious with roasted turkey. You can serve it in place of cranberry jelly or a cranberry sauce.
The fresh relish is not saucy, but crunchy and pretty. It's sophisticated enough to serve alongside a beef tenderloin roast. A fancy sauce for a fancy cut of meat!
Tenderloin is one of the best cuts of beef
A center cut tenderloin is a little pricey because it is a prized cut of beef. It's tender and lean and shouldn't be overcooked.
I like to sear it with a tasty salt crust and then finish it in the oven. The outside gets caramelized and flavorful and the inside stays juicy and pink.
The best beef tenderloin roast recipe
This is truly the best beef tenderloin recipe to make for a special dinner. Christmas or a lovely holiday meal is worthy of this roast.
I use about 2 ½ lbs of tenderloin and it will serve 6 to 8 people.
With a flavorful cranberry relish, the mild taste of beef tenderloin lets the fresh apples, cranberries, and orange shine. What a delicious combination.
I like to serve tenderloin roast with a sauce, but sometimes it is overpowering. A thick gravy or mustard sauce is typical, yet this fresh relish makes this recipe the best.
Sear on the stove then roast in the oven
To make this the best roast, I sear the beef in an oven-proof skillet on the stove to get a nice caramelized crust, then finish cooking it in the oven.
This not only gives the roast a gorgeous look, but also a tasty flavor to pair with the fresh cranberry relish recipe.
How to make homemade cranberry relish
Cranberries are very tart, and not very juicy unless cooked. To make a homemade cranberry relish I add sweet apples, savory shallots, orange juice and sugar. All the the ingredients come together to make a balanced sauce for beef.
Here are the easy steps to make a fresh relish:
- Pulse shallots and fresh or frozen cranberries in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Zest and orange and juice it, reserving both juice and zest.
- Chop a sweet apple, like Gala, into small dice and stir into the shallots and cranberries.
- Add sugar, orange juice and zest, salt, and chopped parsley.
You'll love these recipes for side dishes that go with this beef tenderloin:
- Cheese and Herb Potato Gratin from my new cookbook
- Roast Parsnips with Sage Butter
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes that go with anything
Beef Tenderloin with Cranberry and Shallot Relish
For the Beef:
- 2¼ lb beef tenderloin center cut roast
- 2 tbsps Chinese 5 Spice Powder
- 5 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
For the Relish:
- 1 shallot peeled and chopped (⅓ cup)
- 1½ cups whole fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1½ cups sweet apple, like Gala chopped
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tsps orange zest
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- For the beef: Remove tenderloin from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Heat oven to 450°F.
- Make a paste with the Chinese 5 Spice powder, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil and set aside.
- Rub salt all over tenderloin. Heat a large, oven-proof sauté pan on medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the tenderloin, turning until each side is a rich brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the entire pan to the oven and roast for 15 minutes for medium-rare, internal temperature should be 120°F to 125°F on a meat thermometer. When tenderloin is done remove it to a cutting board and tent with foil. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- For the cranberry relish: In a food processor chop the shallots and cranberries for 5 to 6 pulses. Remove to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with the sliced tenderloin.
Festive Christmas Recipes
About Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes & food-styling for magazines, books, television & advertising. Order my new cookbook & stick around for amazing things to eat.
A flavorful dish. Something unique and yet so delicious. I cant wait to check this recipe.
Kathryn Donangelo says
This cranberry relish was perfect with our thanksgiving meal! I love how fresh it was and zesty. Will be saving this recipe for other holidays, thanks!
This cranberry relish is to die for. I want to put it on EVERYTHING. Thank you for another incredible meal!
Looks like the perfect Christmas dinner. My husband will go crazy over the cranberry relish, it is his favorite! I will be making your delicious tenderloin roast and cranberry relish for Christmas. It will be such a hit, I know it. Thanks so much!
This sounds so wonderfully fruity! I need to give it a try, maybe for Christmas. I agree that the beef and fruit flavors must be a wonderful combination.
Laura Arteaga says
Your Cranberry Relish looks absolutely delicious! We love serving cranberry sauce with our Roast Dinner. This year, I kept this recipe to try your Relish!
The red colors in the cranberry relish are so perfect with the subtle redness of the beef roast, and the tart flavors are a great balance for that strong protein. Beautiful dish.
This looks absolutely delicious! Definitely pinning it to my Christmas board for my cooking ideas! This will go perfect with my turkey!
Loved the cranberry relish. Had a great taste and a perfume texture.
Wow this beef tenderloin looks so tender and juicy, and that relish sounds like such a perfect pairing during the holiday season. Can't wait to try it!
Megan Palmer says
This looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.
This is absolutely the BEST! Rather than putting it on the tenderloin, I'm afraid I must admit that I put it in a bowl and ate it with a spoon!