Roast parsnips with sage butter is an easy yet sophisticated side dish, flavorful and versatile. A quintessential fall dish that's perfect for everyday or the holidays with ham, chicken, turkey, and more!
Truth be told, I didn't try a parsnip until I was in college. My mom does not have fond memories of the overcooked, mushy, boiled parsnips from her childhood, so we never had them in the house.
I was a bit nervous to try them for the first time, but at first bite I fell in love. They were roasted, with caramelized crispy ends and tasted savory and sweet like most oven roasted root vegetables. I was sold!
Creating This Roast Parsnips Recipe
Roast parsnips with sage butter bring a rich flavor to your table, while requiring minimal work to prepare. They serve as the perfect veggie side dish.
Whether they are for a holiday meal, Sunday dinner, or a weeknight Meatless Monday, you'll be delighted with the sweet, roasted parsnip flavor and earthy sage addition!
I roast parsnips and other vegetables a lot in the cold months. Once those yummy root veggies start popping up in season at the market or grocery store, I grab them and roast away.
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of veggies and I love that bit of caramelization that happens. Even better, I haven't had to slave over the stove, it's all done for me in the oven.
I drizzled my roast parsnips with a simple sage butter to finish them. Most weeknights you don't need the fancy touch of crisped sage leaves, you could just chop fresh herbs and sprinkle them on your roasted veggies.
However, for a special side dish I think the crisped sage butter takes them to another level!
What Do Parsnips Taste Like?
Parsnips are root vegetables, very similar to carrots. They are sweeter than other root vegetables, and add rich flavor to any dish.
Parsnips can be prepared in almost any way; for this easy side dish, I made roast parsnips. Roasting allows the veggie to caramelize and that brings out the sweetness. With salt, herbs and butter you get a vegetable side dish that's savory and sweet.
They're also delicious boiled and mashed like potatoes. I love swapping mashed parsnips in for mashed potatoes on a Sunday dinner. Or using half parsnips and half potatoes.
How to Roast Parsnips
Cooking parsnips is so easy and requires minimal prep work. Here's an overview of how to cook parsnips in the oven:
- Roast peeled and sliced parsnips in the oven until golden brown. Set aside
- In a saucepan, cook the butter and sage until the butter browns and the sage crisps.
- Pour the sage butter over the roasted parsnips.
How Long to Roast Parsnips?
I recommend roasting sliced parsnips for roughly 25 minutes at 375ºF. You want them to be tender and golden brown.
Do You Peel Parsnips?
Yes, parsnips need to be peeled before being roasted.
What to Serve with Oven Roasted Parsnips
For a holiday meal where you need several sides, try one or more of the following:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Orange and Almonds
- Shortcut Potato Herb Flatbread
- Skillet Green Beans
- Cheesy Potato Gratin
- Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
Tips for Roasting Parsnips
- If you can find smaller, or thinner parsnips that's the best. They have tender cores and roast beautifully. The large fat ones will be fine if those are the only parsnips available.
- You can cut the parsnips into rounds, chunks or long strips like me. Any way you cut them will be great.
- I roast my veggies in a half-sheet pan. Or a rimmed baking sheet. It's easy to clean and the metal heat quickly and holds its hot, searing heat in my oven.
- Sage butter is always delicious and pairs with almost any roasted vegetable. You can even use it as a sauce for your gnocchi or to pour over cooked meat.
- Oven roasted parsnips pair well with my Grilled Flank Steak and my Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary Apricot Sauce.
Roast Parsnips With Sage Butter
- 2 lbs parsnips peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 15 to 20 fresh sage leaves
- Heat oven to 375F°. Toss together parsnips, oil and salt in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast until tender and golden brown, 20 to 25 min. Transfer to a serving platter.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook butter and sage until butter just begins to brown and sage is crisped, 2 to 3 min. Pour over parsnips and serve.
Awesome Side Dish Recipes!
Recipe Tara Teaspoon. Photographer Miki Duisterhof. Food Stylist Jee Levin. Prop Stylist Jen Everett. Originally published LHJ Nov 2009. Updated 2021