Peanut butter Rudolph reindeer cookies are the cutest cookie you’ll bake this season! Get the kids involved for a fun way to spend a school-break day.
I think if Rudolph had started out as a delicious cookie instead of a reindeer, he would have been accepted immediately. But I suppose then there wouldn’t be a lesson to be learned.
I’ve never needed to learn a lesson about eating a cookie though. I just love them for what they are, no questions asked.
These are one of my all time favorite cookies I’ve ever created. No one can deny their cuteness. And even better they are soft, flavorful peanut butter cookies! The mix of peanut butter, pretzels and chocolate M&Ms are holiday perfection.
Peanut Butter Rudolph Reindeer Cookies combine chocolate, pretzels and peanut butter!
I also love that a platter of these guys look fun and festive, especially when they aren’t perfect. With little hands helping you, each one will have their own personality! I’ve had friends send me pictures of their versions and they are always happy little reindeer.
The recipe makes a big batch, almost 50 cookies, so you can take them to the cookie swap (and win!!) plus keep some for yourself.
Host a cookie swap and make it the best ever!
If you’re the one hosting the swap this year, first plan on making Peanut Butter Rudolph Reindeer Cookies, and follow these quick tips.
• Invite 8 to 10 friends. Any more and everyone will have to bake TOO many cookies. You want your guests to bake about a dozen cookies for each guest to nibble on and take home.
• Set some rules for the party about the style of cookie everyone should plan on. Fancy, quick ideas, homemade, etc, so that no one is slaving over royal icing while someone else uses dough from a tube!
• Make sure you have a large table, or tables for everyone to display cookies on. And gather platters and serving trays for extra cookie display.
• Supply extra containers, tins, or zip top bags for take aways.
• Most important! You’ll need some savory nibbles and drinks so guests aren’t leaving on a cookie-sugar high! See below for savory snack ideas.
Peanut Butter Rudolph Reindeer Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 48 large red M&M candies
- 96 mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Pretzels broken into 96 1-inch pieces
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease two baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter and sugars on medium speed until light, about 2 min.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until combined.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt until a dough forms.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, until just set and bottoms are golden, 8 to 10 min.
- For each cookie, immediately place 1 M&M's in center for nose, 2 chocolate chips for eyes and 2 pretzel pieces on top for antlers. Transfer cookies on sheets to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Tasty cookie recipes!
Recipe by Tara Bench. Originally published in Ladies’ Home Journal Dec 2007. Photography Ellie Miller. Food Styling Tara Bench. Prop Styling Renata Chaplynsky