Sausage and peppers have been an Italian classic recipe for decades. Adding grilled pineapple and tangy avocado cream will make it a favorite for years to come.
You may not be Italian, but you might be able to convince your friends you are at least half Italian with this yummy recipe! Hey you might even be adopted by an Italian family after they taste your delicious sausage and peppers. This is my take on a classic sausage and peppers recipe. I brought summer on strong by adding pineapple and creamy avocado.
What to serve with sausage and peppers:
The secret is in the sauce. An Italian would never serve you pasta without any sauce. I went ahead and added a delicious sauce to my sausage and peppers! You'd never want to forget the tangy avocado cream when serving this dish. It pairs perfectly with sweet pineapple and savory sausage.
If you have a food processor you can whip the sauce up fast. Just combine the avocados, buttermilk, and seasoning together until you get that smooth but textured consistency. Alternately use a masher or pastry blender to blend everything together in a bowl.
Once you have the delicious dipping sauce ready to go, make sure to put it in a little serving bowl to take your presentation game to the next level. I love these because they double as ice cream bowls for later!
What can I cook with sausage?
Surprisingly peppers were introduced to Italians with the discovery of the Americas. So the actual sausage and peppers dish really found it's true identity then! Bell peppers are sweet and flavorful. They were quickly adopted and became a part of Italian family cooking.
Bell peppers are one of the most complimentary veggies to cook with sausage. Zucchini, eggplant and tangy tomatoes are close seconds. The flavorful spices in Italian sausage make them complimentary to so many things. I went off the culinary grid and grilled sweet pineapple alongside my sausage! The sweetness and juiciness is divine, especially with spicy Italian sausage if you dare.
The addition of pineapple to this classic dish might just become as beloved as the peppers...only time will tell (wink). Of course a creamy sauce is unconventional as well. I'm happy to add avocados to any meal, snack, dip or situation! This one has tangy buttermilk in it and compliments the flavors so well.
The classic sausage and peppers gets a summer kick with grilled pineapple and a tangy avocado cream.
I love this recipe because it is timeless. Of course grilled pineapple scream summer; but tropical fruit is actually in season in the winter months. Sausage, peppers and avocados are found year round as well. So for cooler months, if you're not cooking this dish on an outdoor grill, use an indoor grill pan or grill press.
Sausage, Pineapple And Peppers With Tangy Avocado Cream
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ⅓ cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ pineapple, cored and sliced thick
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, cut into thick strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (6 links) sweet or hot Italian sausage
- Combine avocado, buttermilk, lemon juice, chives, parsley and salt in a food processor, pulse until combined and almost smooth. (You can also blend ingredients with a potato masher in a bowl.) Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Drizzle pineapple and peppers with olive oil and season with salt. Grill Sausage until cooked through, about 15 min. Grill pineapple and peppers until tender, about 8 min.
- Serve, topped with plenty of fresh parsley and chives, with the avocado cream on the side.
Try these finger-licking-good BBQ recipes
- Homemade BBQ Meatball Subs In Under An Hour
- North Carolina Pulled Pork Recipe
- Memphis Smoked Bologna Sandwich
- Kansas City Style Ribs Recipe To Make On Your Grill
- Memphis BBQ Sauce
- Terrific 10 Ingredient BBQ Rub From Your Pantry
Written by Tara Teaspoon & Brittany Smart. Recipe by Tara and Hilary Merzbacher. Photograph Food Stylist Prop Stylist Sarah Cave. Originally published LHJ July/Aug 13