Mushrooms are like little sponges! Rinsing them in water, or worse, soaking them in a bowl of water, just gives them a chance to drink up excess water like a dry dish sponge would. Because mushrooms already have a lot of water in their makeup, you typically give the moisture time to cook off, or add less liquid to a recipe if it's being baked with mushrooms. Rinsing them in water simply adds more, which in most cases we don't want!
« Dear Tara, I love kitchen gadgets, but I'm skeptical to buy them because they often end up in my graveyard of unused kitchen tools. Should I buy an Instant Pot? What about one of those sous-vide cookers? I feel like they're good tools, but maybe I'd use them once or twice and then set them aside only to collect dust. Are there any gadgets you consider must-haves?