Juicy grilled chicken and peppery arugula salad make for a tasty open-faced sandwich. As sandwiches go, I like mine with cheese, melted cheese. It just makes them better!
This sammy is a glorious combination of chicken, Gouda (there’s the cheese!) and a green salad. As much as I like cheese on a sandwich, I also like open-faced sanwiches. It feels very dinnery to eat (because you have the option of using a knife and fork), and you can get a heck-of-a-lot more piled on that one slice of bread.
You can buy grilled chicken in the prepared food section of your deli counter if you want a super fast dinner.
I actually used a panini maker, or countertop grill for the chicken. A grill pan like this one here, is also a great alternative to an outdoor grill during these winter months. I really like this grill pan because it doesn’t have a tall edge. I can use it for chicken, burgers and even kabobs because it doesn’t have the rim of a typical skillet. It’s cast iron, so follow directions for treating and cleaning it!
Also, if your bakery has a raisin walnut loaf–whooo-eeee that makes this sandwich good! I get in trouble when I buy this bread. I could eat the entire thing. Thus I create breakfast, lunch and dinner options using it! I love the crunch of nuts and savory-sweet burst from the raisins. A cranberry pecan loaf works too. Any type of fruit and nut combo your bakery might have will work.
Save prep time and buy grilled chicken at the supermarket. Just warm it in the oven before you make the sandwiches.
- 4 small (4 to 5 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp grainy Dijon mustard
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ cup apricot preserves
- 4 slices crusty whole-grain bread or raisin-nut bread
- 6 oz gouda, sliced
- 4 cups (3 oz) arugula
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil; grill on grill pan or grill press until completely cooked, 5 to 6 min.
- Heat oven to 375°F. For the dressing stir together mustard, vinegar and preserves; season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside. Toast bread in toaster or oven. On a baking sheet, arrange cheese on toast and place one piece of chicken on top. Cook in oven until cheese begins to melt, about 4 min.
- Combine arugula and onion and toss with some of the dressing. Place sandwiches on plates, top with salad and drizzle generously with remaining dressing.
This post may include affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosure statement.
Recipe Tara Bench and Vanessa Seder
Photography Rita Maas
Prop Styling Tiziana Agnello
Food Styling Anne Disrude