Sausage and Greens Soup means comfort food at it's best. Creamy, savory broth and hearty greens, potatoes and sausage simmer together to perfection.
Making soup is one of my ideal procrastination activities. It’s typically a lot of methodical chopping, mindless stirring and sautéing and it uses up lots of ingredients from the fridge—making it look like I cleaned (bonus!).
I can sit down to a dinner of delicious soup and some bread, and glare at my procrastinated to-do list with a smug look, saying, “I’ve accomplished something today and you can’t do anything about it.”
The to-do list usually doesn’t respond. It just sits silently waiting.
This healthy, awesome soup doesn’t take a lot of chopping, or time. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare everything and you walk away and let it simmer.
Totally easy for a weeknight meal. With hearty greens like collard, kale and escarole now available pre-washed, chopped and bagged in the produce section, it’s even faster.
So much for procrastinating.
Sausage And Greens Soup
- 8 oz kielbasa sausage cut into ¼-inch half-moons
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz baby red potatoes each cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups hearty greens such as escarole or collard cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup whole milk
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook kielbasa in 1 tsp olive oil until browned, about 5 min. Remove kielbasa and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and 1 tsp olive oil and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 4 min. Stir in flour, thyme and potatoes. Add kielbasa, broth and salt; cover and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 25 min. Add greens and cook until tender, about 7 min. Stir in milk.
- The Best Mexican Meatballs With Chipotle And Adobo
- Potato Salmon Bake With Feta And Dill
- Veggie Loaded Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken With Rice)
- Roast Ham with Spiced Honey Glaze
- Holiday Ham Recipe with Pomegranate Brown Sugar Glaze
Recipe by Tara Teaspoon
I’ve been in the food publishing business for over 20 years, creating recipes and food styling for magazines, books, television and advertising. Find out more about me!