Sausage and Greens Soup means comfort food at it's best. Creamy, savory broth and hearty greens, potatoes and sausage simmer together to perfection.
Quick-click table of contents:
Making soup is one of my ideal procrastination activities. It’s typically a lot of methodical chopping, mindless stirring and sautéing and it uses up lots of ingredients from the fridge—making it look like I cleaned (bonus!).
I can sit down to a dinner of delicious soup and some bread, and glare at my procrastinated to-do list with a smug look, saying, “I’ve accomplished something today and you can’t do anything about it.”
The to-do list usually doesn’t respond. It just sits silently waiting.
This healthy, awesome soup doesn’t take a lot of chopping, or time. It takes less than 15 minutes to prepare everything and you walk away and let it simmer.
Totally easy for a weeknight meal. With hearty greens like collard, kale and escarole now available pre-washed, chopped and bagged in the produce section, it’s even faster.
So much for procrastinating.
Sausage And Greens Soup
- 8 oz kielbasa sausage cut into ¼-inch half-moons
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz baby red potatoes each cut into 8 pieces
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups hearty greens such as escarole or collard cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup whole milk
- In a large pot over medium heat, cook kielbasa in 1 tsp olive oil until browned, about 5 min. Remove kielbasa and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and 1 tsp olive oil and cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, about 4 min. Stir in flour, thyme and potatoes. Add kielbasa, broth and salt; cover and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 25 min. Add greens and cook until tender, about 7 min. Stir in milk.
Main Dish Recipes
- How To Grill Pork Tenderloin: Topped with Goat Cheese, Rosemary, and Honey
- The Best Mexican Meatballs With Chipotle And Adobo
- Veggie Loaded Carnitas Tacos Recipe
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Chicken
- Real Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps