Honey cinnamon cut out cookies are my new go-to holiday treat. A take on classic gingerbread but with a lighter flavor. They pack a festive punch.
• • • AS SEEN ON FOOD NETWORK CHRISTMAS COOKIE CHALLENGE • • •
Roll and cut cookies are the stuff of delicious holidays. Sugar cookies and gingerbread take the cake, or cookie! I wanted something in between. With a touch of honey and a little spice, these soft sugar cookies are the perfect mix, and a new holiday favorite.
I get all sorts of excited over the prospect of fresh, cut out and iced cookies at the holiday. My favorite thing to do it bite the legs, arms and heads off those gingerbread men. And don't get me started on sugar cookies with fluffy frosting. I could live on those during the month of December.
Here is a recipe for something just in between. I took one of my classic gingerbread cookie recipes that stays soft and holds its shape when cut and baked. Swapped the molasses for honey (a lighter flavor, but still a liquid sugar), and cut back on the spices so just the cinnamon gets to shine.
This post may include affiliate links. For more information please see my disclosure agreement.
This was one of the recipes I used as a contestant on the Food Network Christmas Cookie Challenge show I competed on! Let me tell you, the judges loved it. Couldn't get enough!
Royal icing makes these cookies some of the most beautiful treats you'll make. It's sweet and simple, and with some sanding sugar, gives a good crunch in your mouth. But try these slathered (or piped) with fluffy cream cheese frosting, and you've got something, my friend!
Making treats shine like these Honey Cinnamon Cut Out Cookies is easy with the right bling in your decorating tool kit!
You'll want to stock up on sanding sugar, sprinkles and glittery goodness before you start baking. That's what makes these cookies even more special.
Cut these cookies into any shape you want. You could even make your "gingerbread house" out of this dough! I love this set of holiday cookie cutters. And these snowflake cutters. Here are some ornaments like mine!
Honey Cinnamon Cut Out Cookies
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 5 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey
- 1 recipe Royal Icing
- Gold and white crystal sugar
- White Sprinkles
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; set aside.
- In an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, 3 min. Beat in the egg, vanilla and honey. Add the flour mixture and mix until dough forms. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl to completely incorporate. Halve dough, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 2 hr or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough to just under ¼ inch thickness. Using 2- to 3-inch ornament cutters, cut shapes. Transfer to baking sheets and bake until cookies are just done, 7 to 9 min. While cookies are hot use a bamboo skewer to make holes in the top of each ornament for hanging (if desired). Cool on pans.
- Fit a pastry bag with a #3 plain tip and fill with Royal Icing. Decorate cookies with icing, crystal sugar and sprinkles. Allow icing to set about 3 hours before storing. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Pin this recipe!